x

How do I get a free magstripe card reader?

I was giving a Free reader after filling out my information and it showed me a list of stores to get one but how to I get it free at a store? Do I need to wait for a email with a code?

Message 1 of 54
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We'd love to get a free card reader in your hands! If you're new and haven't ordered a free reader yet you can get a Square reader from a retail location near you. The $10 you spend on a magstripe reader will be reimbursed as a $10 credit to your account when you redeem a code after purchase.

If you don't need the reader right away, you can also order one from your online dashboard or the app and it will arrive within 10 days. For step-by-steps, visit this Support Center article.

Hope that helps!

Update 2018: If you've already signed up for Square and received one free magstripe reader, you can order additional magstripe readers for $10. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Alumni

Best Answer

We'd love to get a free card reader in your hands! If you're new and haven't ordered a free reader yet you can get a Square reader from a retail location near you. The $10 you spend on a magstripe reader will be reimbursed as a $10 credit to your account when you redeem a code after purchase.

If you don't need the reader right away, you can also order one from your online dashboard or the app and it will arrive within 10 days. For step-by-steps, visit this Support Center article.

Hope that helps!

Update 2018: If you've already signed up for Square and received one free magstripe reader, you can order additional magstripe readers for $10. 

Message 2 of 54

Hello can you send to me cheap reader for free

Message 3 of 54

I ordered my reader on 4/14/16. It says on the website it shipped 4/16/16. I got the confirmation email saying it shipped. When I log on tot he dashboard it says it shipped and no tracking info is there. Then it says if tracking info is not there to check back in 24 to 48 hours. Well it has been 4 days since it shipped and still no tracking info. Help???
Message 4 of 54
Alumni

The reader can take up to 10 days to arrive, so we haven't met that threshold yet.

But if you need a reader immediately, see the info above!

Message 5 of 54

Okay but you didn't answer my question. Why is the tracking info not showing up like it says it will? I gave it more than 48 hours like it says and still no tracking info. Can I get my tracking number please???

Message 6 of 54

I ordered my reader 10 days ago.  I got one email saying the order is being processed. Nothing since 9/15.

Message 7 of 54
Alumni

Hi @Clayhabitat - I'm sorry to hear you did not receive the free Magstripe reader within 10 days.

You can re-order from the Square Shop - they should arrive in around 10 days by USPS. If you need one right away, you can buy one from a store for $10 and we'll credit your account $10. Find a store using our store locator.

Message 8 of 54

I signed up in Dec 2015. I'm not sure why but I never received a card reader. Will someone contact me and let me know what I need to do to receive one? My email is [PERSONAL INFO REDACTED]. Thanks Janine

Message 9 of 54
Alumni

Sorry you didn't get your reader earlier!

Of course, we'd love to get you up and running with Square. Please see the info above for ordering a reader in your Dashboard, or for immediate use, purchasing one from a retail location.

Message 10 of 54

I lost my Reader (dog really did eat or hide it).  Can I get a new one?

Again, how do I get another Reader?  Mine was lost.

Message 11 of 54

Which store carries the Square Reader? All I want is the "reader"! Square never sent me a stupid "reader!"

Message 12 of 54
Square

@Metrocab - We have a ton of retail partners! Just check by entering your zip code on our store locator site. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 13 of 54

I had the same question,  I went to your website, entered the code from the documentation that came with the sqaure rader, logged in as prompeted, and then - is that all you need to do?  There was no notice that anything had gone through, and I could not see any place to look for notification from teh drop-down menu.  When I tried again, I did get a message that I was not authorized - so I assume that means just entering the code and logging in takes care of it?

Message 14 of 54
Alumni

Hi @Info1 -

You should have seen a confirmation when redeeming the code online and you should be able to see the $10.00 in your deposits from your Dashboard online. If you don't see the $10.00 from your Dashboard, please contact our Support Team by email. 

Message 15 of 54

Thank you.  I didn't see a confirmation right away, but eventually did get an email notice that the $10 was being depoaited in the account.  

Message 16 of 54

looking for physical hardware store in wisc,?

Message 17 of 54

xxx

Message 18 of 54
Alumni

Hi @hinder - Added you to this thread where we listed the link to find the closest retail location for you to purchase a reader (on page 1). Hope you're staying warm in Wisconsin! 

Message 19 of 54

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How do I order my square? And is it free?

How do I get my square? Is it free?

Message 20 of 54
Admin

@240638 The steps to order a reader are in this post: How do I order a free magstripe reader?

Your first reader is free. If you've received a free magstripe reader in the past any additional magstripe readers cost $10.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 21 of 54