x

Feature Request: Allow ability to disable keypad and force Item Library usage during checkout

Feature Request: Allow ability to disable keypad and force Item Library usage during checkout

Is there a way to disable the keypad, so that employees have to use the item library when checkout guests out?

Thanks.

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How do I hide the checkout keypad?

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I hide the checkout keypad?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, @Nola1

It is not possible to disable the keypad at this time. 

11 Comments
Admin

Hello @eliwink

There isn't a way to disable the keypad to prevent employees from entering a custom amount to complete a sale. Can you let us know a bit more about why your employees are using the keypad instead of the item library? A bit more information/context will help our product team to understand what you're looking for! 

Sorry for my slow response. The keypad is what shows up first when we open the register app on our device, so it's just the easiest thing to use instead of clicking over to the library. But I don't want to use it at all, because then nothing is categorized. Just telling people "don't use the keypad" doesn't work when it's so easy. Thanks. 

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How do I disable the Keypad in the mobile point of sale?

We want to get better at tracking sales and inventory. All of my employees have been writing the totals in the numeric Keypad. In order to force them to use the Item library in the checkout, I would like to disable the numeric keypad.

Is this possible?

Super Seller
Unfortunately, currently it is not possible to disable the keypad, though I too wish that it was not there.
Beta Member

I would also like to see this as a feature. Inventory/Item sales tracking can be defeated and circumvented by lazy sales people having access to the keypad vs. being forced to use the item library. 

I just got my square register and I'm trying to set up the menu. Everything was going great until somehow I activated the keyboard. Now I can't get rid of it. I can't believe that there isn't anyway to hide it. Surely there has to be an explanation.

Alumni

Hi @Nola1 - thanks for writing in, and sorry to hear about your issues with the Square Register. Do you see an option to collapse the keyboard? The button is located next to the shift and enter keys and actually looks like a keyboard with and arrow pointing down. 

Let us know !! 

Thank you for your reply, but this doesn't help. You are referring to the popup keyboard for typing in device codes, order information, and such. I am referring to the square register tablet's screen keyboard to enter a custom amount at checkout. It is to the left of the menu and it takes up about a quarter of the screen space and I do not want my employees entering in custom amounts. Is there anyway to get rid of this?

Alumni

Sorry for the misunderstanding, @Nola1

It is not possible to disable the keypad at this time. 

Beta Member

This really needs to be solved by Square. It can't be that difficult to make it an option to disable the keypad. Lazy employees use the keypad when something doesn't scan. This causes inventory nightmares.