x

How do I obtain my Unemployment Tax ID and pay employees?

The title of this post has been edited by a moderator.

Setting Up Payroll and I am unable to obtain an Unemployment Tax for 3-4 weeks and I must pay employees. Error message comes up "Before I can launch payroll" I must have FUTA setup.

I need a work around. Any suggestions ??

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @SKChief and welcome to Square Payroll!

If you haven't received your state unemployment tax ID yet (SEIN), you can still onboard to Square Payroll with a temporary SEIN by entering all 1's in onboarding. Once your first payroll run has been processed you'll be able to update your SEIN within a banner on your Payroll Dashboard. As soon as you receive your tax ID from the state, you can update this on Square Payroll.

What happens when you enter all 1's instead of a valid SEIN? 
1. You will receive an email notification from Square stating we have an invalid account number. 
2. You will see a banner in your Payroll dashboard after your first payroll has been processed stating we have an invalid account number. (You will want to update your SEIN using this banner).

What are the payroll tax implications if a valid SEIN is not provided?
1. Square is unable to make any state tax filings on your behalf. 
2. Square is unable to make any state tax payments on your behalf. If we do not have a valid SEIN by the time these payments are due we will refund the taxes withheld to your bank account. 

Hope this helps! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square

Best Answer

Hi @SKChief and welcome to Square Payroll!

If you haven't received your state unemployment tax ID yet (SEIN), you can still onboard to Square Payroll with a temporary SEIN by entering all 1's in onboarding. Once your first payroll run has been processed you'll be able to update your SEIN within a banner on your Payroll Dashboard. As soon as you receive your tax ID from the state, you can update this on Square Payroll.

What happens when you enter all 1's instead of a valid SEIN? 
1. You will receive an email notification from Square stating we have an invalid account number. 
2. You will see a banner in your Payroll dashboard after your first payroll has been processed stating we have an invalid account number. (You will want to update your SEIN using this banner).

What are the payroll tax implications if a valid SEIN is not provided?
1. Square is unable to make any state tax filings on your behalf. 
2. Square is unable to make any state tax payments on your behalf. If we do not have a valid SEIN by the time these payments are due we will refund the taxes withheld to your bank account. 

Hope this helps! 

Message 2 of 2