x

How can I process exchanges using Square for Retail on the Square Register?

On the square retail app it say refund/exchange but on the expensive new square register it only says refund like it does on point of sales app.

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How do I process an exchange on newest Square Register? Like you can in the Square Retail app.

Message 1 of 18
2 Best Answers
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

With the Register you have to do a return and a new sale - two steps.  We don't have the ability to do a one-step exchange, which bugs me to no end.

Judy T Shumway

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Are you using Square for Retail on your Square Register @jacdzg2?

We began supporting Square for Retail Plus on the Square Register in February 2020. At this time exchanges are possible to be processed in the same way as they are on the Square for Retail app in the iPad.

You may want to take a look at this article about exchanges on Square for Retail that may provide some additional clarity on the process.

Let us know if you have additional questions in regards to this feature.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 18 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

It says to update it when I look at previous exchanges but my register is up to date.

Message 2 of 18
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

With the Register you have to do a return and a new sale - two steps.  We don't have the ability to do a one-step exchange, which bugs me to no end.

Judy T Shumway
Message 3 of 18

Thank you!

Message 4 of 18
Super Seller Alumni

You're welcome - wish I had better news for you.

Judy T Shumway
Message 5 of 18
Beta Member

How would I do this if this if this is a gift being returned/exchanged.  I do not want to refund the money to the customer who purchased the item but I need to show that the item was returned and only a partial amount was given as a gift card since the gift recipient's new choice in product is less than the original gift purchased.

Message 6 of 18
Admin

@frillseekerstx

We're definitely aware of the limitation for exchanges on the Square Register. Feature Requests like this help us to prioritize releases in the future.

A gift being refunded to an gift card on the Register is something we can currently do.  

Issuing a Refund to a Gift Card

If you’d like to issue a customer store credit, you can issue a refund to a Square Gift Card.

1. From the Register, tap Transactions.
  2. Search the receipt number or full credit card number to find the transaction.
  3. Tap the transaction to refund.
  4. Select item(s) to refund > tap Return or Exchange.
  5. Select item(s) to restock or Skip Restock.
  6. Tap Add Gift Card or Swipe, then swipe or enter the gift card number.
  7. Tap Refund.

In this particular case, it may be best to refund the entire amount to the card - then purchase the "exchanged" item from the gift card. This will keep the remaining balance on the card, and keep your reporting from being too confusing.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 7 of 18
Super Seller

Can we get an update on the status of this functionality?

Message 8 of 18
Admin

@page158 It's not possible to process an exchange from the Square Register yet. As soon as we have an update for you we'll post in this thread to let you know. Really appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 18

Is there an anticipated timeframe for the development of the exchange feature?  My team has made several errors due to this limitation, refunding an item's value to the original credit card when it was actually a gift for the person wanting to exchange.  With the upcoming holiday season, exchanges are going to be a big deal.

Message 10 of 18
Admin

Hey @SouthernGen

Being able to run the Square for Retail platform on the Square Register is a feature we're hoping to launch in the near future. While I cannot release an exact date, we appreciate your patience, and will make the announcement in this thread when we have an update. 

In the meantime, you can have an iPad in the store to run the Square for Retail app, and process all exchanges on there. I realize this is not ideal. Thanks again for your patience.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 11 of 18

This feature should be top priority

Message 12 of 18

Hello,

We need to make some noise so this happens asap. This stinks and its years later...

Message 13 of 18

AND PAYING A THOUSAND DOLLAR FOR A REGISTER THAT CANT DO EXCHANGES WHICH SHOULD BE ALREADY ON IT....BUT YOU  CAN DOWNLOAD A FREE APP ON A IPAD YOU ALREADY HAD LAYING AROUND THE HOUSE REALLY **bleep**ES ME OFF. THATS SOOOOOO STUPID AND NOT THOUGHT OUT ON THEIR PART. YOU WANNA CHARGE SOMEBODY ALL THAT MONEY FOR A REGISTER FOR A FEATURE THAT SHOULD BE A GIVEN I MEAN IT IS A REGISTER WHAT DO YOU THINK REGISTERS DO? EXCHANGES! 

Message 14 of 18

Hey there @DRESSCODE ,

Thank you for reaching out and providing feedback on our Square Register!

I am sorry for any confusion but unless you are subscribed to Square Retail the option to exchange is not available as you stated. All your concerns and input on this are very valid, and I completely understand the frustration. I also want to remind you we do have  Community Etiquette Guidelines so please refrain from cussing on our forum. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 15 of 18

Square Please get this feature on the register....   Also the Grid, this too is an absolute necessity..... Thanks Cathy

Message 16 of 18
Beta Member

I Agee to all the above.  My team has made so many mistakes doing exchanges.  This really makes me want to switch to Shopify. SO beyond frustrating!!!

Message 17 of 18

Best Answer

Are you using Square for Retail on your Square Register @jacdzg2?

We began supporting Square for Retail Plus on the Square Register in February 2020. At this time exchanges are possible to be processed in the same way as they are on the Square for Retail app in the iPad.

You may want to take a look at this article about exchanges on Square for Retail that may provide some additional clarity on the process.

Let us know if you have additional questions in regards to this feature.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 18 of 18