x

How do I reload a customer's Square Gift Card?

I have customers that want to add more money to their gift cards but I am unable to figure out how. The support center says I can reload at any time but does not explain how to do it. Could some one please help me?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there!

Sorry for the delayed response. 

I've listed out the steps to reload a customer's gift card below. If you need any clarification let us know!

1. Open the Point of Sale app > go to the Checkout section > tap Gift Cards.
  2. Swipe or enter the gift card number > you'll see the current balance at the top of the screen.
  3. Load more value to the card (you'll also see the option to clear the balance if needed). 
  4. Tap Charge to complete the sale and process your customer's payment.

Keep in mind if you're reselling the Gift Card (to a new customer) you'll need to select the option to clear balance and then process a separate transaction to use the card again. This step is required to unlink the Gift Card from the previous customer's automatic receipts! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Best Answer

Hi there!

Sorry for the delayed response. 

I've listed out the steps to reload a customer's gift card below. If you need any clarification let us know!

1. Open the Point of Sale app > go to the Checkout section > tap Gift Cards.
  2. Swipe or enter the gift card number > you'll see the current balance at the top of the screen.
  3. Load more value to the card (you'll also see the option to clear the balance if needed). 
  4. Tap Charge to complete the sale and process your customer's payment.

Keep in mind if you're reselling the Gift Card (to a new customer) you'll need to select the option to clear balance and then process a separate transaction to use the card again. This step is required to unlink the Gift Card from the previous customer's automatic receipts! 

Message 2 of 12

It's not the gift card. Im charging in the squer a sale since 01/24/22 and doesn't appear in my checking account

Message 3 of 12

Is there any way to do this? We have a barter relationship with a local service provider and I'd like to be able to "pay" for services by loading their gift card with value without actually having to take their card and swipe it through our stand.

Message 4 of 12

Hi @thirdrailcoffee!

My best suggestion would be to re-load it by gift card number you can ask them for instead of swiping it since that's an option too.

You'll still have to do it from the app or Stand though as this option isn't available on the Dashboard.

I do see how that'd be useful though!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 12

I'm a little confused. If you are paying them why would they swipe their card?

I also barter with some of my local vendors. All I do is add value to their gift card and then do a 100% discount on it to bring the total to $0.00 and charge it out. Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 12
Beta Member

Really need a way for customers to re-load gift cards online.

Message 7 of 12

I have a customer who is using their gift card but they should have money left on their card. The only option I see is to clear balance. How can I only deduct the amount they want to use and leave their proper balance?

Message 8 of 12

Hey @TeeTees and welcome to the Community.

You should be able to just run the transaction normally by choosing Gift Card as the tender like you're running a normal card and then you can just give the gift card back that'll still have the remaining balance on it. 

Here's a Support Center guide on accepting gift cards here for the steps. 

Ashley C
Message 9 of 12

This is not at a POS station. This is online.

Message 10 of 12

The maximum amount we are allowed to reload onto a gift card using the Square Register is $50.  Is there a setting I can change to be allowed to add more?

Message 11 of 12

Hey there @Groompella 

These amounts can be adjusted from your Square Dashboard under your Gift Card Settings You can also allow custom amounts for Plastic Gift Cards as well.

Here's how that looks:

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 12 of 12