x

Create access to the FULL 16 digit electronic gift card number

Create access to the FULL 16 digit electronic gift card number

There is absolutely NO reason why the account administrator should not be able to access the full 16 digit electronic gift card number. It is essential to providing quick & accurate customer service - something I'm finding impossible to do on Square.

There are multiple inquiries regarding this feature that lead me to believe that this is a WIDE SPREAD problem with smaller vendors.

Also, under >gift card >overview, the search box needs options i.e. recipients name, purchasers name, date range of purchase, amount of purchase.

67 Comments
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @AestheticsElite 👋 Thanks for reaching out here again on the Seller Community! 

We're you able to follow this Best Answer from Helen in regards to contacting our Support Team? They can work with your directly to help generate a report for the full number of your Gift Cards.

When I click on the gift card receipt, I am only seeing the last 4 digits of the e-gift card.  How do I find the full 16 digit code?

Hey @Aunt_beez,

I moved your post to a more relevant thread that answers this question.

Check out the Best Answer above for full details. 

I purchased a cafe & agreed to honor existing gift cards.  We thought I'd use the same square account so it'd be easy, but ended up having to set up my own.  I can still access the original account, however, and am wondering if there's a report that will show me all outstanding gift cards w/ balances and their individual card ID's?

Beta Member

Hello,

Per this "Best Answer" I called customer support and was told that feature is for customers who leave square for another platform and need the information to transfer to their new system. So this answer is not helpful and business owners still need access for the full 16-digit GC numbers. 

A client's mother bought her a GC online. She doesn't have a printer so he wrote in a card to my client that she had a GC to my business. So, when my client came in for her service she didn't have the GC with her. Since I am not given access to the full 16-digit GC number I am not able to close the transaction in my appointments.

I am very confused why the full GC number is "sensitive information" from the merchant. We are the business selling the GC which sits as a liability on our books, not Squares. If Square doesn't want to give us the full GC information then they need to figure out another way for the merchants to manually apply gift cards, specifically ones purchase online, with the information we do have access to.

Needless to say I will be looking for another online platform to sell my GCs this holiday season. 

Hi,

Looking for a full gift card report that gives the full gift card number with the remaining balance on each plastic card and eCard.  I've tried the exporting and the gift card report under reports.  The full gift card number is not listed.  

Thanks

JIll

Hey @theangrydonout1 and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that addresses this question.

Check out the Best Answer above for more details!

I'd like to see the full 16-digit gift card number too.  It's a pain when my customer doesn't have the card with them (and I know they have the plastic card at home) and I can see the balance on the card via the four digit code.  Please fix this issue ASAP!

Just fix it...Re: How do I see the full 16-digit gift card number and balance.

Resend the gift card to your business email, then you can see the full number. I've ran into this repeatedly when someone has bought a gift card for someone else to use, Square pay attention, this is an obvious issue and if you want to keep the full number hidden, fine, then don't make us input all digits into the system to redeem. figure out a way that works. I don't like standing in front of a client for 10 minutes trying to check them out but can't figure out how to. It makes merchants and your system look incompetent.