x

Create access to the FULL 16 digit electronic gift card number

Create access to the FULL 16 digit electronic gift card number

There is absolutely NO reason why the account administrator should not be able to access the full 16 digit electronic gift card number. It is essential to providing quick & accurate customer service - something I'm finding impossible to do on Square.

There are multiple inquiries regarding this feature that lead me to believe that this is a WIDE SPREAD problem with smaller vendors.

Also, under >gift card >overview, the search box needs options i.e. recipients name, purchasers name, date range of purchase, amount of purchase.

67 Comments

Hi there, I'm in a chat with Square customer support requesting this very option and they are telling me that it is absolutely not an option.  I've referenced this thread and this support agent is telling me that it is false information...  Can someone from Square verify if this can still be done?  And if so, how do I reach someone besides the person I'm speaking with that is telling me that it cannot be done?  Thank you - @nika 

Alumni

Our team can help with this, but they will need to file a ticket in order to get you this information, @chefblack.

I've gone ahead and escalated a case for you by email with next steps for the team to follow.
In the meantime, if you need this information sooner, please give us another call.

Thank you for your patience, and welcome to the Seller Community!

I called customer service and they would not provide the full numbers for me.  They told me that I didn't have access to that information.

Hello! I followed the steps above, and the cvs only gave me the last 4 digits of the egift card redemption code. The only way I know how to find the whole number is to edit the recipient email and make it mine and then get the full number off the email. This is TERRIBLY inconvenient when I have a customer in front of me needing to check out but they can't find the number or they can't find the original email. Why isn't the number available to the business thru the transactions or when I click on the last 4 numbers? Why is it only listed as ---- ---- ---- 7663? The business should have access to the whole number when logged into the business account so the business can serve their customers and actually USE the egift cards for which they have already taken the money.

Also, when using the Appointments app, the only way to enter an egift card number when checking out is to swipe or have the whole gift card number (which I never have). There is no option to look it up by the customer's email or phone number, etc.

If there is an easy way to find egift card full codes when the customer is standing there staring at me, please advise.

Thank you!

Square Community Moderator

Hello @Laurie_E,

Welcome to the Seller Community and congrats on your first post!  The full Gift Card number is treated as sensitive information. For this reasoning, it is blocked for you and your customers protection.

While there is an ability to enable the permission by contacting  Customer Success team, this will only be done if you are leaving Square and going to another payment processor.

Note that once the permission is enabled, any of your employees with Dashboard access can download this report, and there is no ability to reverse this permission once this action takes place. 

We are working to provide more detailed Gift Card reporting in the future. We have moved your thread to a similar post 

Hopes this provides insight!

Totally agree. So aggravating as the owner and looking like an idiot to a client.  Their “fixes” don’t work either. 

Contacting the support team does nothing. No one can provide an answer and it’s so frustrating. 

Hi Helen,

I just tried contacting customer support to make the change to my account that you note above. I need the full 16-digit card number to migrate the existing gift cards over to our new system. After 40 min. of being placed on various holds, I was told  this feature does not exist. They told me the solution was to continue to use Square ( ! ) for basically as long as it takes to redeem the existing gift cards, which is indefinitely. LOL. Such a scam, since I am the owner of the business it's my information, but sounds like square does not see it that way. Would never have signed up to do GC's on this platform had I known. It's a terrible policy. Anyone else have this issue?

SAME. I need the full 16-digit card number to migrate the existing gift cards over to our new system. After 40 min. of being placed on various holds, I was told  this feature does not exist. They told me the solution was to continue to use Square ( ! ) for basically as long as it takes to redeem the existing gift cards, which is indefinitely. LOL. Such a scam, since I am the owner of the business it's my information, but sounds like square does not see it that way. Would never have signed up to do GC's on this platform had I known. It's a terrible policy. 

Wait they told you they can’t do this?  They said they could create a file but only once and that’s if you are migrating over. These various answers for different people is why square sucks for customer service. It’s BS. 

By the way, there’s an option to resend the gc. Resend it to your email and you’ll get all the info you need to migrate. Unless you have a ton to move over, it should be easy and straightforward. That’s the only work around they have.