x

How do I sell services and products during checkout using Acuity Scheduling

We are current using Square items for basic product and services purchases. We are looking into moving to Acuity scheduling to use their advanced features such as Packages and Gift Cards. With Acuity scheduling, you can check out the customer ON the service (using Square as a processor), but if the customer also wants to purchase a product, I would have to jump over to Square and do a separate purchase for products. 

Square Appointments doesn’t do Packages, Gift Cards or Subscriptions. I know there are work arounds for each of those features such as using Square Invoices. 

How do people use outside scheduling tools while still allowing the customer to check out services and products at the same time without too many manual steps or workarounds? 

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey! Thanks for reaching out about this. I hear you - trying to switch between Acuity and Point of Sale could definitely feel like a lot of extra steps.

I think the best option for you would be to move your account fully into Appointments with Square as the Appointments app has that built in - you can charge services and products all in one, so that will be a lot less moving around between services. Is there a feature with Acuity that you feel you cannot get with Square Appointments? We may be able to offer a workaround too.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Best Answer

Hey! Thanks for reaching out about this. I hear you - trying to switch between Acuity and Point of Sale could definitely feel like a lot of extra steps.

I think the best option for you would be to move your account fully into Appointments with Square as the Appointments app has that built in - you can charge services and products all in one, so that will be a lot less moving around between services. Is there a feature with Acuity that you feel you cannot get with Square Appointments? We may be able to offer a workaround too.

AshleyK
Message 2 of 12

The main feature I'm looking to cover is Packages and Gift Cards. Subscriptions would also be a good feature. From what I hear, I can use Square Invoices as a workaround for Subscriptions and possibly Packages. I can possibly work with that if that's the only workaround. Are there common methods people use to do Packages and Gift Cards in the Square ecosystem that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 12

You are pretty well on track with our systems as far as subscriptions go! We offer recurring invoices, so you can store your client's card's on file and have it charged each month for as long as needed. 

In regards to gift cards, the Appointments App is capable of processing all the same card types as the Point of Sale app - so as long as you have Square Gift Cards, then you can use those in any of our systems except Invoices if paid for by the customer over their computer (you can accept gift card payments for invoices in person). If you have 3rd party gift cards, then the workaround will be a little more extensive as you would have to simply mark the gift card as paid for by "other" tender, and somehow deduct and track the actual balance of the gift card outside of Square. 

It's hard for me to advise on how we can work with your package deals without knowing a little more about the, but in general, I see a lot of sellers simply create a "package" item and either include the separate package options as variations for clients to choose from, or they will just add each item separately to the bill, then add a "package" discount so they can better track the inventory of the items in the packages. 

I hope that makes sense! I can include a detailed example if needed, and of course let me know if you have any other questions!

AshleyK
Message 4 of 12
Beta Member

I am also curious about packages and then how to schedule using packages.

I am a therapist, and would like to be able to sell therapy sessions in packages (ie- for the month) and have them expire after a certain number of days.

I would like to invite specific clients to be able to book those sessions and allow them to see how many sessions are left on their packages. I know Acuity has this option, and am hoping there is a method for this in Square.

Thanks so much!

Message 5 of 12

My packages are for massage visits. I’ve created packages but once you sell them you can’t applying them to visit when they come in to close out the visit. This makes me have to write everyone down with visits and look them up to know what’s been used. Is there a way to apply it to the customer account when purchased so when they come in the package will be applied automatically at the visit? Mindbody and Vagaro does this 

Message 6 of 12

What about products vs packages/subscriptions? I am currently using Acuity with Square for payment. When clients pays at spa, is there a way to add product on to service prior to checking out. All the items are already on square for payment.

Thanks

Message 7 of 12
Alumni

Did you get a chance to read both of @AshleyK's responses in this thread yet, @anewuspallc? She gave some pretty comprehensive answers together here about the limitations that you might run into when using Acuity with Square for checking out a client with products and services.

Let me know if you have questions about this after taking a look there!

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 8 of 12

I have 4 locations using square for payroll, appointments, and point of sale. I am considering switching to another platform all together unless you guys can add the features of aquity scheduling to your appointments app.

Specifically the ability to sell a package of appointments to a customer, and sell a set number of appointments in a month as a subscription.

this feature has been requested for the past 6 years from your customers. Personally I love square and I know of a few workarounds to fix this problem but frankly, I need to be able to sell my services in packages and subscription formats so please implement this ASAP and you will increase your subscriber base. Especially with your appointment subscriptions which since you are increasing your fees for this subscription you might want to incorporate this anyways, or others might be leaving too. Just saying....

Message 9 of 12

This is exactly our problem as well. It would be amazing to just be able to use square. We sell memberships with a limited number of visits per month and need to track them. I have not found a way to do this with appointments or subscriptions through Square. 

Message 10 of 12

Maybe I’m just not getting the obvious, but I can’t seem to take an item sold and paid for on Square pos and attach it to my students on acuity scheduler.  Can anyone help me with this?

Message 11 of 12

Hi @SafeHarbours 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community with your question. I see this is your first post here! Welcome! 🎉

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed selling items/services with Acuity Scheduling.

Please see the reply from one of our Community Moderators, @AshleyK, which has been marked as the Best Answer in this thread.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help!

Violet
Message 12 of 12