x

How do I set a price with tax included? Using "tax included" adds the tax on. Deduct tax from total?

How do I set a price with tax included? Using "tax included" adds the tax on. Deduct tax from total? Then the list shows odd amounts, not what I want to use to check amounts for customers.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Beta Member

because you should not be selling items where you run credit cards with tax included.  You need to show what was paid and what is tax.  Figure out what the item cost, then add your % tax and tell your customer the total.

Then when you run it, after the tax is added, your total will be what you told the customer

Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there!

In your tax settings, you can choose to add tax to the Item Price, which adds the tax as a separate line item to the price, or include the tax in the item price, which shows one amount – the combined sales tax and item price.

Was this what you were referring to?

Message 3 of 5

Hi do I do that?  When I go to tax settings, I am given the option to make tax rule or a tax name, for example sales tax.  Do I then select "apply to items" in sales tax, select all that I want the tax to apply to, and then that's that?  For something simple, it seems confusing to set up.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Leashless - I think I can provide some clarity here. 

You are correct, here. To have a specific tax applied to your Items, you would need to create a tax from the Tax Tab within the Items Screen. Once the tax is created, you can apply it to whichever items you would like by selecting the Apply to Items button on the righthand side. 

I'm so sorry that this has been troublesome! If there is anything else I can clarify for you, please don't hesitate to reach out! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5