x
PsQIndustry1

How do I set up categories and sub-categories?

I run a service company and I would like to have categories & sub-categories  for example ( Residential Services would be a category & under that I would like to have M.E.P designs as one of the sub-categories?

Please advise hoe to get this done

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
RHatch Super Seller

Re: HOW DO I SET UP CATEGORIES & SUB-CATEGORIES

Best Answer

With Square you can only have categories there is not an option for subcategories.  You can create more categories as one option.  Another is to create an item (as if it is your subcategory) and have variations within the item your actual items.  You will have to experiment to see if this will work for your situation.

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RHatch Super Seller

Re: HOW DO I SET UP CATEGORIES & SUB-CATEGORIES

Best Answer

With Square you can only have categories there is not an option for subcategories.  You can create more categories as one option.  Another is to create an item (as if it is your subcategory) and have variations within the item your actual items.  You will have to experiment to see if this will work for your situation.

Message 2 of 10
jheintz21

Is there a way to have subcategories within a parent category?

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there a way to have subcategories within a parent category?

Like the title states, I need a way to nest subcategories within a parent category.  As an example in my situation, I need the parent categories to be Alcohol and Food, with the subcategories being beer, white wine, red wine, vodka, etc., with each individual offering being offered in the respective subcategory.  As it is now, if I want to determine my total alcohol or food sales, I have to manually add up the sales for each individual category.  It would really be a time-saver to be able to just look at my reports for this information. 

Message 3 of 10
Admin

Re: Is there a way to have subcategories within a parent category?

@jheintz21 I'm adding your post to this thread where @RHatch answered this question. I'll share your request for subcategories with the Item Library team! I see how it would be useful for your reporting!

Message 4 of 10
HappyPeople

It would also be useful in minimizing the shear number of buttons on a single screen to minimize time for searching for a particular item/ i.e. Beverages>Coffee Drinks>Latte (variant large). (Category>Subcategory>Item>Price Variant or Food>Sandwiches>Club. Etc.
Message 5 of 10
foxspringsfarm

I'm a farmer and the same thing holds true. I have produce (versus flowers or baked goods etc) Under produce category i would like tomatoes as a sub-category. We sell 8 varieties (items). So I can get a sum of all produce, and I can get a sum of all cherry tomatoes, but can't see what percentage of produce is tomatoes or cucumbers or radishes...

Message 6 of 10
Adam_

Re: How do I set up categories and sub-categories?

I also would like this feature.

Message 7 of 10
Admin

Re: How do I set up categories and sub-categories?

Thanks @Adam_

PS I've marked RHatch's answer here as the Best Answer so that other seller can find this thread! 

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
urbanhomestead

Adding a subcategory to square inventory

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Adding a subcategory to square inventory

How do you add a subcategory to square inventory? 

Message 9 of 10
Admin

Re: Adding a subcategory to square inventory

I'm moving your post to this @urbanhomestead to you can see the Best Answer to this question!

Message 10 of 10