x

How do I transfer my domain to Square Online Store?

I’m looking to move my website from Shopify to Square. I have my domain registration with Shopify though, how do I move that over?

Message 1 of 71
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tigerstore55-

If you wish to connect your existing custom domain registration from your old online stores you can do so with our Personal Plan. If your previous online store is connected to a custom domain prior to trying the new Square Online Store, the Personal Plan fee will be waived for a year starting at the date you publish your new site. After the first year, the Personal Plan will cost $6 per month per site.

To begin the transfer domain process, click this link and go to the transfer domain option.

If your previous online stores are connected to a custom domain, like wxyz.com, you’ll need to update the DNS settings for each custom domain to point to your new store. Please follow these instructions to update the settings for each custom domain. Your new online stores will not be live until you redirect your custom domains.

I hope this helps! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 71
70 REPLIES 70
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tigerstore55-

If you wish to connect your existing custom domain registration from your old online stores you can do so with our Personal Plan. If your previous online store is connected to a custom domain prior to trying the new Square Online Store, the Personal Plan fee will be waived for a year starting at the date you publish your new site. After the first year, the Personal Plan will cost $6 per month per site.

To begin the transfer domain process, click this link and go to the transfer domain option.

If your previous online stores are connected to a custom domain, like wxyz.com, you’ll need to update the DNS settings for each custom domain to point to your new store. Please follow these instructions to update the settings for each custom domain. Your new online stores will not be live until you redirect your custom domains.

I hope this helps! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 71

I wanted to change my website name to a new one that I definitely plan on keeping permanently from Square to Square.  I think I found the answer and I thank you for the answer.  

Message 3 of 71

How can I transfer my google domain name to my weebly website?

Message 4 of 71
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @ps73 👋 Thanks for joining us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you in the fold.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for specific information about transferring their previously owned domain over to our Weebly based Online Store. Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle - it will point you to the resources and steps needed to accomplish.

Feel free to reach out if you have any clarifying questions. We are here to help!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 71

DNS SETTING

Message 6 of 71

Hi there, @solo1971 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. Happy to have you join us!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who also had questions regardinging editing and updating their DNS settings. Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle - the last few lines of her post will lead you straight into the DNS Settings from your Weebly Dashboard. 

Let me know if you have any remaining clarifying questions. We are here to help! 

Joe
Message 7 of 71

Does this still apply today? I just tried it and it's asking for payment right now.

Message 8 of 71

How do I point a domain to this site?

Message 9 of 71

Hi there, @spirithawk 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Welcome! 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information on how to point a domain. Take a look at this Best Answer here from Isabelle - she should be able to provide some clarity here.

Let us know if you have any remaining questions! We are here to help.

Joe
Message 10 of 71

I bought a domain through Shopify, have transferred it to Square and am now trying to change the DNS settings. Honestly, I don't even know who my registrar is. Unfortunately, I already deleted my Shopify account. So if it's them then this might get complicated. What do I need to do next?

Message 11 of 71

Hi there, @greg_hodges 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here. 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding editing their DNS settings. Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle - it should include everything you need including helpful guides for walkthrough. 

Let us know if you have any clarifying questions! We are here to help. 

Joe
Message 12 of 71

You guys refer everybody's questions on this topic to Isabelle's answer. The only reason I'm posting is because I've read it many times, have done everything that answer says to do and I don't know what to do next. Do I or do I not need to be in contact with Shopify about updating my DNS settings? I ask because I already closed my account with them and I want to know if its even necessary before I try to go through all the trouble.

Message 13 of 71

So I would like to transfer an existing domain name and email over to Square But I can’t seem to find any links here to do so. I have an auth code from the site where my current domain lies but don’t know how to complete the process. Any suggestions?

Message 14 of 71

Hi there, @Adam3 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here. 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding transferring their domain into Square. Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle - she provides all the resources needed to walk you through each portion of the transfer.

Let us know if you have any clarifying questions, we are here to help! 

Joe
Message 15 of 71

Isabelle, I am having issues with my DNS settings. I updated the settings with my registrar 2x to confirm the IP address was correct. I updated it on Saturday and still not connecting to my Square store. 

What am I doing wrong and how do I solve this. I have went thru the articles and it is not addressing how to fix or why this is happening.

Message 16 of 71

Hi there, @samuescott29331 👋 Thanks for reaching out here. I can step in for Isabelle in her absence.

So sorry for the continued issues you're experiencing with your DNS. If you've exhausted the troubleshooting steps listed in the resources above, we would recommend reaching out to our Support Team directly. They can take a deep dive within your account to insure everything is pointed correctly.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Joe
Message 17 of 71

So I went into Shopify and changed the DNS settings and my new website in Square was up and running for five days. In the meantime, 7 days ago I also started the Transfer to move my Domain from Shopify to Square and today all of a sudden my website is now not working. When I spoke with both Shopify and square they blamed each other and said there was nothing I could do but wait for the transfer to finish. Square said Shopify must have removed the DNS settings during the transfer and Shopify said that Square should be able to fix the DNS settings but Square is saying they can't do anything until the Transfer finishes. So now I have no website.

Message 18 of 71

Hi @thekamaconnecit! Thanks for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear the frustration regarding your domain. It looks like your domain transfer is only on day 8, but it can take 7-10 days.

If you do not see the domain available in your account after this window, you can reach out to the support team for assistance. They can see if anything happened on the back end.

If the domain transfer does complete between now and then, you will receive an email that you will need to verify once the domain has been added to the account, so keep an eye out for it!

AshleyK
Message 19 of 71

My domain still isn't up and I've received no email. I do not understand why the DNS redirect was removed. The website was working just fine. No one warned me that this would happen. It is inexcusable.

Message 20 of 71

Sorry to hear that. Looking at your account, it looks like the transfer did complete, but there was a bug that did not allow the domain to actually be linked to your account. I've since fixed this fro you. You will get an email in 24 hours or so asking you to verify your registrant contact info. Please click the link in the email to verify that. Once you have done that it should start working. 

Again, I apologize for this experience and hope this helps get you up and running. Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 21 of 71