x

How do I use the Square app to keep track of all my sales, both cash and CC's, using a cash drawer?

I would like to run all of our door sales through the app and have a report at the end of each night, only a few of our customers use credit cards, most of them pay cash.  We use a manually operated cash drawer.  I want my helpers to track every person and sale through the app so that the numbers match up at the end of the night.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

That is exactly what the app is intended to do. It tracks every form of payment. Cash, checks, gift certificates etc. 

If you have any specific questions just ask here. 

Here is a general getting started area for using the POS (point of sale) system. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/topic/226

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

Best Answer

That is exactly what the app is intended to do. It tracks every form of payment. Cash, checks, gift certificates etc. 

If you have any specific questions just ask here. 

Here is a general getting started area for using the POS (point of sale) system. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/topic/226

Message 2 of 10

Just realizing I can keep track of all my cash but I have not done that for January or February. Is there a way to enter it in retroactively for the dates it was received?

Message 3 of 10
Super Seller

You can't enter it in for dates prior to today, but if you just want it for record keeping you can enter it now and your totals will be correct but the dates of the sale will be wrong.

Message 4 of 10

Would love it if the Square team came up with a way to import all prior cash sales by item/date.  Then I could use square exclusively for all reports, instead of my current spreadsheet method. I only process CC sales, 80% of my sales are cash.

Message 5 of 10
Alumni

Hey @Buckosean -

Welcome to the Community and thanks for flagging! I can definitely see how it would help to have all reports in one place especially if you are a newer Seller. We will make sure to bring this up with our Product Liaison team. In the meantime, you can always start tracking your cash payments on Square from this point on so that you can eventually phase out the spreadsheet method. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 10

Will do! Thanks!

Message 7 of 10

if you export your reports to a spreadsheet, you can add sales you made prior to the records of square in the spreadsheet. It's another step, but it will give you all of your records in one place and ensure more accurate totals.

Message 8 of 10

I do not see any way to post a "cash" transaction thru my "virtual terminal" that I'm running on my laptop?!

I know I can record cash transactions thru my mobile app but, logistically I sometimes need to enter while on my laptop.

Message 9 of 10
Alumni

Hi @james_ur_driver - Virtual Terminal can only process card payments, hence you can't enter cash transactions. 

You could try sending an invoice and marking it as paid. However, you'd need someone to receive the invoice for that initial send.

Message 10 of 10