x

How do i fix the error message to re-enable contactless payment methods?

i keep getting the error message to re-enable contactless payment methods, how do i fix it

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Super Seller

I'm not sure what error that is.  Could you give more information on what devices you are using and maybe even a screenshot of the actual error?

Message 2 of 15

I am having the same problem with my new contactless chip reader when I try to use a chip card. (The reader works fine with Apple Pay, I have an up-to-date iPhone 8, and I have excellent wifi and cellular connections.) The app says "Reader Ready" at the top. When I hit "Charge" the single green light turns on. I insert the chip card and after a few minutes, the red light turns on and there is a beep. The message is "Re-enable Contactless Payments".  But there is nothing in the Support articles or on the internet to tell me how to do that.  One of the articles about the chip reader says that if the green light doesn't appear, "Note: If you don’t see a green light, tap “Re-enable Apple Pay and Contactless” from the app."  But again, it doesn't say where to do that in the app.

Message 3 of 15
Alumni

Hey @LNM4LSC - Try giving these troubleshooting steps a go. If those don't work for you, let us know and we'll check in with the Hardware team about this for you.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 15

Thank you, yes, I have tried all of those trouble-shooting steps. I still get the same message about re-enabling contactless payments even though the screen says "contactless payments enabled" when the single green light comes on and I put in the chip card.  These were transactions that I was trying to do myself to test it by doing a donation to my church myself. Regarding another comment below, there is no delay after the single green light turns on. I've also tried inserting the card both gently and more assertively. I've tried different cards. I always get that same message even though it starts out saying "reader ready".  

Message 5 of 15
Super Seller

@cdeet  @LNM4LSC Are you seeing this error when you’re on the checkout screen where you are waiting for the customer to do something? 

The contactless reader has a limited time where it is actively linked to the Point of Sale to accept the customers card. If they take too long to insert their card or wave their NFC payment over it, the reader “disconnects.” It’s still linked to your system but isn’t in a state to take payments. This is when the re-enable contactless payment methods line will appear. 

All you have to do to clear this is to tap on the error text itself. This will re-link the reader and you can continue the payment process. 

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 6 of 15

Thank you for your reply.  There is no delay after the green light turns on because I'm doing these transactions myself to test it out before my church event (tonight) where we're supposed to take donations.  I guess we'll use the swipe reader.

Message 7 of 15
Super Seller

@LNM4LSC so you're seeing the Re-enable line right away? Sounds like something happened to the pairing.

Try going into the Card Readers setting and forgetting all readers seen here. Force close the software and restart. Then re-pair the reader as usual. Hopefully that will help you out.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 8 of 15

Hi, I tried doing what you suggest and still had the same thing happen (i.e., after the single green light, I inserted the chip card, waited a brief time and then heard two beeps and saw a red light).  Just to be sure, I assume that "force restart" means swiping up on my iPhone to close the app after I made the software "forget" the reader".  If I'm mistaken about that, please let me know. 

Message 9 of 15
Super Seller

@LNM4LSC  Yes you are correct about what I meant by force close. 🙂

One last bit of troubleshooting. If you're using the dock for the reader, does the reader still have problems running cards when it is separate from the dock?

Either way, I'm starting to lean towards something wrong with the reader or the dock itself now. If the reader is fine after removing it from the dock, then there is probably something wrong with the dock. If the reader is still having problems after removing it from the dock--or you don't use the dock at all--then probably something wrong with the reader.

You'll have to get a hold of Customer Service. They'll see if you're eligible for a warranty replacement and step you through the process if you are.

Wish I had better news! 😞

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 10 of 15

Thank you for trying to help.  I don't use a dock.

Message 11 of 15

Did you ever find a solution? I am encountering the same issue.

Message 12 of 15
Alumni

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps aforementioned?  If so with no luck still, you'll need to reach out to our CS team. There might be a deeper issue/bug that our Team can escalate to engineering for you. 

@store4dxl

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 15

I am having the EXACT same issues and none of the troubleshooting methods are helping AT ALL

Message 14 of 15

Why is it that this happens? I noticed this today more so with the square stand 2nd generation. Before., with the first generation stand, it didn't happen as often but now after about 1 min, it will say re-enable contactless reader. Is this even necessary? It takes away time from moving people along the line when you have to be pressing a button constantly. 

Message 15 of 15