x

How do we get auto-updates to Card on File for expired cards or cards customer has changed?

We are a winery that has a wine club shipment 3x/year and want to have as many cards on file active as possible at the time of shipment.  We had been told that Square was including 'Account Updater' service for cards on file that are part of recurring subscription programs like ours that updates expired cards or cards that have been replaced by the cardholder (i.e. person replaces a debit card 123456789 with a different card 987654321 and the bank updates this information and passes it on to Square and then to us).... we cannot figure out where on our system to initiate this process - any/all info on this much appreciated!

thanks!

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @Winer,

I moved your post to an existing feature request thread for this.

It's not something we offer at this time but we have been tracking requests for it here.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

hi Chad

Thanks for your response - it's still not clear to me from the link that you shared - does Square support Account Updater - where we could run a batch process of all cards on file to determine if any expired or declined in any way and the new/updated card number then becomes the card on file so that we can continue to charge them with the new number

thanks

Michelle E

Brooklyn West Winery

Message 2 of 16

Hey @BKWST, I actually checked with our API Team this morning and this feature is no longer available. We needed to update the documentation on the developer portal to reflect this. I'm sorry for the confusion. 

We are tracking the requests to bring it back, so I'll make sure to flag this thread to the team. 🙂

Message 3 of 16
Beta Member

Hello, I also manage a wine club and this feature would be very helpful. Is there a timeline for implementation for this, please?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 16

Thank you for adding your voice to this Feature Request, @KatieHollister!

We appreciate your feedback on what you need to run your business with Square. 

Kassi
Message 5 of 16

I have over 100+ recurring payments processed every month, but I'm finding out after the fact that a credit card has expired and the payment is unsuccessful. Is there a report that can be generated within Square that allows us to view expiring credit cards prior to the payment being processed?

Message 6 of 16

Best Answer

Hey @Winer,

I moved your post to an existing feature request thread for this.

It's not something we offer at this time but we have been tracking requests for it here.

Ashley C
Message 7 of 16
Beta Member

Hello, I also manage a wine club and this feature would be very helpful. Checking again to see if there is there a timeline for implementation for this, please?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 16

Hello @KatieHollister, 

Thanks for your feedback. At this time, we don’t have an update to provide but will make sure to post any updates when we have them here in our Seller Community. 

Have a good day. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 9 of 16

This is really a feature that needs to be added--so many of us are relying on cards on file to process payments since COVID began. I am a therapist in private practice solo with no billing department so I have to do all interactions with clients myself, and my clients absolutely hate that I have to manually enter their new cards (most of which only have just changed expiration date) and it is so awkward having to manually tell them their card was declined. They are coming to me to feel less stress not more, and most people react with embarrassment and are flustered when this happens. Most of my clients have asked if there is any way they can be notified by square instead to update their cards as it would feel less personal and would be easier amd prevent awkwardness. It is such a problem that I sadly will need to change to another processor if this is not going to be offered as a feature soon, and I would assume I'm not alone here. I have only ever used Square and I really don't want to change but not having such a useful feature in the post-COVID, digital business world is really confounding.

Message 10 of 16

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @mccubed I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (just like you did here).

JJ
Message 11 of 16

also trying to do this - kind of insane that you donlt have this feature 

Message 12 of 16

I require a card to hold an appt. but I rarely benefit from any protection. I'll go to charge a card for missed appt and it'll almost always decline. Today I had one decline due to expired card. Why doesn't a notice automatically go out to update a card? If a customer deletes a card we get notified, but not for this. It feels pointless to have this "no show protection" when I've never been able to successfully utilize it. 

Message 13 of 16

Hey @sphoenix,

I moved your post to an existing feature request thread for this where some other sellers raised the same issue.

There's not a way to notify them for cards on file at this time, but hopefully something we can implement in the future.

Ashley C
Message 14 of 16

We own Hamilton Family Wines and we also have to deal with the time-consuming and frustrating process of following up with wine club members whose credit cards have expired. I'm amazing Square still hasn't dealt with this issue. It is a big enough issue for us that we are looking at competitors to Square almost exclusively because they offer this feature. Also, I'm trying to find the existing Feature Request and end up in an annoying loop back to this community question, can you link directly to the Feature Request so we can add our support. 

Message 15 of 16

There are several other requests for this feature in the community and responses from Square saying this Feature Request already exists. After going through all 56 pages of Feature Requests I can tell you it does not.

Message 16 of 16