x
Beta Member

How do you Duplicate Inventory to a second location ?

I'm opening a second location late this year/early 2019 and I would like to know if it is possible to copy everything like items, discounts, modifiers, etc from store #1 to #2.

We have quite a large number items and modifiers for them and I would really like an easier way to set up store #2 then having to add everything one item at a time
Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Yes you can!

Here are the steps on the Web Dashboard:

1. Accounts & Settings

2. Locations

3. Setup & Click on the New Location

4. Scroll to the bottom - "Match item Library from another Location"

5. Select a Location to Match

6. Bingo Bango!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Yes you can!

Here are the steps on the Web Dashboard:

1. Accounts & Settings

2. Locations

3. Setup & Click on the New Location

4. Scroll to the bottom - "Match item Library from another Location"

5. Select a Location to Match

6. Bingo Bango!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 19
Beta Member

THANK YOU!

Message 3 of 19
Beta Member

I'm setting up a 2nd location and when I go to the setup page where it says "Match Item Library From Another Location" and select my current location I get a warning message that says "This will reset your item library and cannot be undone."  What does that mean.  The instructions say that "Matching another location’s Item Library will override all items, modifiers, taxes and everything found under your Item Settings."  I called support and the guy told me I'd have to redo all the menu items at our current location.  Does copying the library over crash the current location?

Rambler
Message 4 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hello @RedRamblerBrent,

Good to see you posting in the Seller Community again, welcome back! 😊

With regard to matching the Item Library, the notification is specifically speaking in terms of overriding all items, modifiers, and taxes to a pre-existing library. 

i.e. you have 2 locations, and they each have 2 entirely different menus with their proper modifiers, taxes, and items. You then decide to go into that location and decide you now want the exact same menu as your other location. Once you select "Match Item Library from Another Location", this will copy the exact menu and delete any prior specific taxes, modifiers, or items specific to that location.

Does this make sense? I know its a mouthful 😂 but please let me know either way so I can elaborate further.

I look forward to reading your reply!

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 19
Beta Member

Thanks for the proper information.  The customer support rep didn't have a definitive answer and couldn't tell me if I'd have to rebuild the menus at my existing location.

Rambler
Message 6 of 19

@RedRamblerBrent sorry to hear about that experience, but I do hope the above helped on some level. 😊

Frida
Message 7 of 19

Is there a way to have the ability to transfer inventory between multi-locations on the POS app? I just joined a 30 day trial for Square for Retail to see if the functions offered can be done by my staff at retail locations. However, it seems that the function to transfer inventory across locations and create purchase orders can only be done on the online dashboard? I am the only admin, and wouldn't make sense to give my retail staff to have access to the online dashboard. Also, it doesn't seem convenient that they would have to go online to do this, when all features should be accessible through the app.

Message 8 of 19

Hey there, @TiffanyNR

Welcome back to the Community!

Check out this thread for getting your Inventory across multiple locations. I moved your post over to a thread, so you can see the Best Answer by our Super Seller Pesso

Please reach out if that doesn't do the trick! 

Kassi
Message 9 of 19

Hello @Kassi_ 

I'm not trying to duplicate inventory across multiple locations. This question has been moved to a wrong thread.

1. Transfer items between locations (in an example where one location has zero inventory and wants some inventory from another location). It's the feature where you can transfer stock on the online dashboard. But my questions is whether this feature is only available on dashboard or can it be available on the POS app.

2. Creating purchase orders can only be done via online dashboard? Is this feature also available on the POS app?

(Initial questions posted below for reference:)

Is there a way to have the ability to transfer inventory between multi-locations on the POS app? I just joined a 30 day trial for Square for Retail to see if the functions offered can be done by my staff at retail locations. However, it seems that the function to transfer inventory across locations and create purchase orders can only be done on the online dashboard? I am the only admin, and wouldn't make sense to give my retail staff to have access to the online dashboard. Also, it doesn't seem convenient that they would have to go online to do this, when all features should be accessible through the app.

Message 10 of 19

@Kassi_ 

Reposting

I'm not trying to duplicate inventory across multiple locations. This question has been moved to a wrong thread.

1. Transfer items between locations (in an example where one location has zero inventory and wants some inventory from another location). It's the feature where you can transfer stock on the online dashboard. But my questions is whether this feature is only available on dashboard or can it be available on the POS app.

2. Creating purchase orders can only be done via online dashboard? Is this feature also available on the POS app?

(Initial questions posted below for reference:)

Is there a way to have the ability to transfer inventory between multi-locations on the POS app? I just joined a 30 day trial for Square for Retail to see if the functions offered can be done by my staff at retail locations. However, it seems that the function to transfer inventory across locations and create purchase orders can only be done on the online dashboard? I am the only admin, and wouldn't make sense to give my retail staff to have access to the online dashboard. Also, it doesn't seem convenient that they would have to go online to do this, when all features should be accessible through the app.

Message 11 of 19

@TiffanyNR

Sorry about that! Thank you for clarifying. 

1. Currently, the only way to add to your inventory would be to manually add it to each item. The only reasons you can select are 

2. Purchase Orders are only able to be created through the Dashboard. Here is a Support Article about Purchase Order Management. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 12 of 19

@Kassi_ 

Hello Kassi,

Can I input a request for these features? It would make sense for the store (who has control over inventory management) has the ability to create a PO based on store needs.  Also, for transfer amongst stores within their control.

Message 13 of 19

Thanks for reaching back out @TiffanyNR - I can step in for Kassi here. We can definitely pass along these feature requests to our Product Teams! I will make sure we get some visibility here.

Thanks, again! 

Joe
Message 14 of 19

@Joe 

Hello, is there an update for this feature request? Thank you

Message 15 of 19
Beta Member

I too am looking to do the exact same thing. But you mentioned it that you could do it on the online dashboard. I couldn't even find that. I haven't looked at my app to see if it is available. Any info would really help. I'm VERY new to this. Is there also a place to put where you have stuff on order but havent received yet? I actually made a location listed as (on order). And then my other location is my location where I already have the stuff available and listed. So when I get the stuff in I want to be able to change it from location (on order) to the actual location. Have any other ways to do this?

Thanks in advance SO MUCH,

Tony

Message 16 of 19

Hey there @CarlasClassy To match the item library to a new location you will need to head to your Square Dashboard > Account and Settings > Business > Locations >  Select your desired location.  Once inside the Location Details you will look for the section titled Match Item Library from Another Location from there you can select which location you want to use.

Here is how that looks: 

In regards to updating a particular item's location then, you would have to do that manually via the Item Library.

I hope this information helps. 

JJ
Message 17 of 19

This feature doesn't seem to be working on August 4 2023? After hitting Save, the list of locations just resets to "Select a Location to Match"

David Longdon
Message 18 of 19

Hi @motion8social - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to bring this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that you've run into this issue.

I suggest starting out with the troubleshooting steps for the Square Dashboard listed here. If this doesn't improve things, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Violet
Message 19 of 19