x

How do you allocate credit card tips to the employees working during those tip hours?

Please explain how credit card tips can be distributed amongst the employees working.  Employee A worked from 6a - 10a alone and the tips at that time were $20.  At 10a, employee B came in, and at 2p employee A left.  From 10a - 2p there were $20 more in credit card tips.  So employee A receives $10 form that and employee B receives $10 from that.  Employee A, in total, received $30 in tips that shift.  How can we do this through Square and put it on their payroll?

Message 1 of 82
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for bringing this up, @amandasue5, and for helping out, @BobbyHowe! 💯

I also wanted to surface that automatic tip reconciliation is available with Team Management. With this feature, you can assign employee passcodes so there’s no re-calculating involved with figuring out tips and commissions. Learn more about getting set up in our Support Center: Subscribe to Team Management.

Hope this helps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 82
81 REPLIES 81

I won't pay for square payroll until it can do this. It is such a basic feature. 

Message 64 of 82

Please for the love of all things ADD THIS FEATURE. It is so basic and the fact that you don't already have it says how inexperienced you are a a company with the restaurant industry itself.

Message 65 of 82

square did add this feature into their system a couple years back. You have to pay for their timecard system, and then adjust the settings so that tips are split by transaction. As far as I know you can only set it to split evenly between all employees clocked in per transaction. It took me a minute to get it figured out and set up, but now employees clock in and out on the terminal and then at payroll time I go to the dashboard > scroll way down to staff & payroll > shifts > labor and tips > select payroll timeframe and it lists tips on the right hand side of that report

Message 66 of 82
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Eda0617,

I am sorry for any confusion but we do have tip allocating available. Check out @thegreenbeanery reply above. He provides step by step how to accomplish this using Team Shifts. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 67 of 82
Beta Member

Following this. It’s been a huge time consuming problem for us the past 7 yrs. brought this issue up multiple times 

Message 68 of 82

Hi @perks1207  Feel free to check out tipmetric.com. They have the ability to split tips based on Positions and are integrated w/ Square +  Square Timecards to automatically split those tips up based on when someone is clocking in or out, which saves a lot of time during payroll!

Message 69 of 82

Hi @snowpacktaproom, Feel free to check out tipmetric.com. They have the ability to split tips based on Positions and are integrated w/ Square +  Square Timecards to automatically split those tips up based on when someone is clocking in or out, which saves a lot of time during payroll!

Message 70 of 82
Beta Member

I appreciate the offer, but I am not trying to pay more for something that Square should easily be able to do.  This is a very basic part of Square Payroll that is missing.

Message 71 of 82

I noticed there isn't an active close of day setting or any type of closing procedure on the Square Register POS. I was wonder if there is any work on an API that helps with closing procedures. Thanks

Message 72 of 82
Admin

Hi @jirar- Thanks for reaching out here in the Community. 

Can you clarify what you mean by needing an active close of day setting? What exactly are you wanting it to do?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 73 of 82

I have several cashiers who collect tips on their perspective shifts. I currently cant view how much their sales and tips are for the shift, only for the entire day. I was hoping to see there is anything in the development for the register regarding a shift closeout or a report for individual members. I was told this feature is available to tablets but not for the register yet.

Message 74 of 82
Admin

Thanks for the clarification @jirar. That makes sense. In regards to that topic, we're continuing to track that as a feature request here. Hopefully we can have some implementation of this in the future.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 75 of 82

See, that's how I do it. Each shift splits the tips. It's just so hard to manually figure it all out.  

Message 76 of 82

Is there a way to disable the Square Team module form trying to track tips period?

It is grossly inaccurate when more than one employee is clocked in but only one can be logged into the register at a time.

Square wants you to pay for the Team management module and it only supports tip pooling per day and has no breakout for kitchen /support staff versus front of house.

Whoever designed it certainly isn't aware of counter service type cafes where multiple employees participate in the tip pool.

Under SHIFTS - SETTINGS - TIPS there is no way to disable tip management.

This is an oversight in the design and rollout of this feature.

Please add a DISABLE option so that my Labor and Tips report does not display inaccurate tips calculations to my employees.

We have also attempted to set all of our hourly employees to tips ineligible and square still awards them tips.

That right there is a software bug. If an employee is ineligible for tips why is Square showing them a labor and tips report that awards them tips?

Good job on completely botching this one up. I hope your Product Manager/Owners are proud.

Message 77 of 82

I SO feel your frustration on this.  I can't believe how awful (and possibly shady?) this problem is and how easily it could be fixed but in looking through this thread, it looks like various users have requested fixes for literally years now and Square still hasn't done anything

Message 78 of 82

Perhaps a tool like https://tipmetric.com , that integrates with Square and provides extra flexibility in tracking & calculating hour based tip pool can help...

Message 79 of 82

I did confirm with our Product Team that allocating different tips amounts will be available in 2023. I do not have a specific date of when exactly this feature will be available. In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates in our Seller Community. We appreciate your input! 

Message 80 of 82

I read the treads about splitting tips, however I didn't see how to split a tip between 2 employees?

When the employee makes the sale but needs to share tip. Is there a way to split tips at time of the sale between employees?

I'm aware and use the commissions as well, however the same problem exists with commissions - whom ever rings up the sale gets the commissions. 

Message 81 of 82

Hey there @ColonialBarber ,

Tip pooling/splitting is a feature of Square Shifts. @thegreenbeaneryreply is still correct! You can use the option to pool tips per transaction: 

Pool tips per transaction: Transaction tips are split equally among all tip-eligible team members clocked in at the time of the transaction. This distribution method works best if you want to reward your team based on the tips earned during their specific shift.

I hope that helps! 

Message 82 of 82