x

Feature Request: Option to Create Invoice with Zero Balance

Feature Request: Option to Create Invoice with Zero Balance

Because I use square to track my inventory, I need to be able to create an invoice that has a zero balance (for a few reasons).  First, if I am donating product, I need to track that through square. I also want a hard copy record of this donations.  Secondly, if I do a product trade with someone, I want to indicate that on my invoice (again to track my inventory). When I have done this, square tells me that inovices need to be at least $1.  WHY???

69 Comments

I need zero invoices too! For all the reasons stated above by the original poster. 

I dont one want to make invoices $1 as it will stuff up my revenue reports. 

Please please please update this feature. 

I also need to create zero balance invoices. The best I can do now is save as a draft but it doesn't remove the donated items from my inventory. If I discount the invoice I must still show the value of at least $1 but I did not receive $1.  Square "CREATE" link/button returns an error which tells me that the invoice form contains parameters that the  value in the "Total" field must be at least $1 and no more than $50,000. If Square team would remove the lower threshold parameter...or simply change "between $1.00 and $50,000.00" to "$50,000.00 or less", that would fix the problem. In the end, the create invoice feature is a webform that can easily be changed by the developer. I would imagine the few of us in this string are not the only ones that want to use square to its fullest. Some businesses that want to create zero-balance invoices, likely have manually adjusted the inventory totals but will soon discover that will not properly track things as they should be tracked.  This is the first business I have run through Square and aside from the issue with zero balance invoices, I like it. Liking won't be enough however because my business has multiple opportunities for zero balance invoices beyond just donations so unless this feature is fixed I will have to use another system.

Here is my temporary workaround...(but this workaround will not work in all instances):

I created a Category for giving. It is a pain, certainly is not flawless workaround but at least I can move on and not have an incorrect inventory total. The invoice will not "Create" and remains a DRAFT but I can at least temporarily track gifted inventory. 

I am hoping Square fixes soon so I know whether to stay or switch inventory tracking systems 😕

Hello,

I didnt think inventory was updated until the invoice was finalised and paid?  

Hello,

I didnt think inventory was updated until the invoice was finalised and paid?  

That is correct, which is why I move the gifted/donated items to the new category and my general inventory no longer shows the gifted items,

Ahhh got it! thanks, cumbersome though.  I really hope they fix this feature.  Otherwise square is pretty good for me.

@RHatch has support viewed my suggestion to change the invoice format so a minimum $1 invoce balance is no longer required? This one change would eliminate the problem and since the invoice feature is essentially a webform, it is a simple fix. Thank you in advance for responding

If you look at your sales/transaction data in the Dashboard and download the spreadsheet, it separates out the transaction data in more detail. Assuming you're doing these gift transactions as a 100% discount, for instance, then just use the column for Net Sales instead of Gross Sales.

Square simply needs to remove the bottom threshold. Currently an invoice must fall between $1 and $50,000. All square has to do is change the minimum setting in the web form. Looking at net sales doesn't adjust inventory when items are gifted or donated.