x
Italy323

How do you create an invoice with a zero balance?

Because I use square to track my inventory, I need to be able to create an invoice that has a zero balance (for a few reasons).  First, if I am donating product, I need to track that through square. I also want a hard copy record of this donations.  Secondly, if I do a product trade with someone, I want to indicate that on my invoice (again to track my inventory). When I have done this, square tells me that inovices need to be at least $1.  WHY???

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
RHatch Super Seller

Re: How do you create an invoice with a zero balance?

No, you can't do this with invoices but you can just ring a sale and process it.  This will do everything you need it to do.  Send a receipt to them, document it for you and subtract it from inventory.

Message 2 of 30
Italy323

Thanks, I know I can do that but then it also adds in money that I didn't actual make. I rely on that total as well. Sigh.

Message 3 of 30
DaoDeJing

If you look at your sales/transaction data in the Dashboard and download the spreadsheet, it separates out the transaction data in more detail. Assuming you're doing these gift transactions as a 100% discount, for instance, then just use the column for Net Sales instead of Gross Sales.

Message 4 of 30
mommygrammy

Square simply needs to remove the bottom threshold. Currently an invoice must fall between $1 and $50,000. All square has to do is change the minimum setting in the web form. Looking at net sales doesn't adjust inventory when items are gifted or donated.

Message 5 of 30
DaoDeJing

"Looking at net sales doesn't adjust inventory when items are gifted or donated."

Why would it not? You ring up the purchase as normal, but just give a 100% discount with a note re: gift, etc. Whenever I do this, my inventory is adjusted by the system just as expected.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

Message 6 of 30
mommygrammy

A zero $ balance invoice can only be saved as a draft. A draft does not adjust inventory for a gifted item. Square invoice balance must be between $1 and $50,000 or it will not generate)

All square needs to do to fix this, is remove the $1 minimum requirement from it's webform,  which is all the invoice is. 

Message 7 of 30
mommygrammy

A zero $ balance invoice can only be saved as a draft. A draft does not adjust inventory for a gifted item. Square invoice balance must be between $1 and $50,000 or it will not generate.

All square needs to do to fix this, is remove the $1 minimum requirement from it's webform,  which is all the invoice is. 

Message 8 of 30
Admin

Hi @Italy323

That's an interesting use case for Square Invoices. 

It's not something that I've heard before as far as feature requests go, but our Invoice Team will definitely be made aware of this. 

The workaround that @RHatch mentioned is probably your best play for this. Let us know if this works for you, or if you come up with a better solution.  

Message 9 of 30
Italy323

Thank you for bringing this to the square team for review! I know I can do what RHatch says, but then it also qualifies as money received when it wasn't money. Plus, this doesn't help when I make donations and receive nothing in return.

Message 10 of 30