x

Feature Request: Option to Create Invoice with Zero Balance

Feature Request: Option to Create Invoice with Zero Balance

Because I use square to track my inventory, I need to be able to create an invoice that has a zero balance (for a few reasons).  First, if I am donating product, I need to track that through square. I also want a hard copy record of this donations.  Secondly, if I do a product trade with someone, I want to indicate that on my invoice (again to track my inventory). When I have done this, square tells me that inovices need to be at least $1.  WHY???

66 Comments
Super Seller Alumni

No, you can't do this with invoices but you can just ring a sale and process it.  This will do everything you need it to do.  Send a receipt to them, document it for you and subtract it from inventory.

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Italy323

That's an interesting use case for Square Invoices. 

It's not something that I've heard before as far as feature requests go, but our Invoice Team will definitely be made aware of this. 

The workaround that @RHatch mentioned is probably your best play for this. Let us know if this works for you, or if you come up with a better solution.  

Thanks, I know I can do that but then it also adds in money that I didn't actual make. I rely on that total as well. Sigh.

Thank you for bringing this to the square team for review! I know I can do what RHatch says, but then it also qualifies as money received when it wasn't money. Plus, this doesn't help when I make donations and receive nothing in return.

I also use Square invoices in a similar fashion and need to be able to create invoices with a zero balance. I add a lot of customizations to donated product. If the ability to add this feature to invoices is something that could be added to your many features, I might actually be able to use Square long term. As of right now I may have to move to another system without this and I really love Square.

Super Seller Alumni

@Italy323, when you ring your product you need to take a discount or enter it as zero in Square POS.  This will then not show you as collecting any money.  I have created a discount code called donations so I can track my donations.  I send or attach the receipt to the item when I give it to them so they have a record.

@ellebird,  Again just ring the sale through the app like you would do someone in person.  You can add all your customization to it like you do the invoice.  When you email them a copy of the receipt it will have all that information on it.  

Am I missing a reason why you want to do it as an invoice?

@RHatch I can only speak for my business, but I need to be able to print the transaction with full customer details to attach to physical products. By running it through as a transaction rather than writing it up as an invoice it creates a problem tracking the pieces that are attached to the printed invoices as they move through the manufacturing process. It also means I have to follow the customer link on the transaction to get shipping information to plug into the shipping software rather than just moving through a stack of printed invoices. Sure, it tracks the monetary amount donated, but I need a little more than that. Thanks for your suggestion though 🙂

Super Seller Alumni

I see that makes sense.  I wasn't thinking about those needs.  Hopefully, future updates will provide what you need.  Maybe ringing it for $1.00 and then marking it paid will work for you.  Just throwing out ideas...

@RHatch 

I have done what you have said but Square will not let me create the invoice with a zero balance. I have plenty discount items at $0 value for this purpose under my discount qualifier. I need the invoice created so it will subtract my inventory. I'm not sure how many other ways I can explain it. I thought the whole purpose of having everything run under one program was to make running your business easy. If I donate and can't show that on my inventory, now I need to use a secondary program to do that. Who wants more paperwork?

Beta Member

I need zero balance invoices, too. I often have contests where people win free things and I like the invoice to keep track of things. They get the email with the list of products showing they are free, it removes stuff from my inventory, plus I get the invoice in my email which is searchable.