x

How do you delete a cash payment posted to an invoice?

Hi! I currently have an invoice my customer is making payments on. I accidentaly entered a duplicate cash payment and need to delete it. Is there a way to delete a cash payment from the invoice? The invoice is still open, as it has a remaning balance. 

Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Hey @Bennettautotx! Did you mark one invoice in a series as paid in cash, or did you record a cash payment against a single invoice? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 10

Hi @Helen 🙂 It was a cash payment to a single invoice.  Also, the invoice is still open as there is still a remaining balance. Thanks!

Message 3 of 10
Admin

Got it, thanks for clarifying! At this time you won't be able to issue a refund for the accidental cash payment while the Invoice is still open. So you have two options:

1. After you customer has paid the balance you'll see the option to issue a refund for the cash payment to balance your books: Click on the paid Invoice > click More > Issue Refund > choose the amount and select a reason for the refund.
  2. Cancel the invoice and send your customer a brand new one. 

Either way I'd encourage you to let your customer know what happened and what you plan to do - they'll receive a notification about the refund or when you cancel the invoice.

Hope this is helpful! If you have any more questions reply here and I'd be happy to help.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 10

I have the same issue but the original payment was by credit card and I duplicated a payment as "other" in error. By me cancelling the invoice will this create a refund to the credit card??

Message 5 of 10
Admin

Hi @cjd56! If the invoice has been paid in full you won't see the option to cancel - you'll only see the option to refund the invoice. If you accidentally marked the invoice as paid with 'Other' you can refund it to balance your books.

If an invoice is partially paid (because you requested a deposit for the invoice) and you need to cancel it the funds are not automatically refunded. This thread has more informatio about cancelling a partially paid invoice.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 6 of 10

Thank you!!

Message 7 of 10
Beta Member

I accidently added a cash payment to the wrong customer invoice for the full amount owed ($50.00).  There doesn't seem to be  way to refund the money in cash form.  If I refund it the only way allowed, it looks like the money is taken from my account.  Books definitely won't balance that way!  So, I need to delete the cash payment.  Any way to do this? 

One note, I found out quickly because an the honest person called and told me her invoice was paid when it wasn't.  

Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hello there @PALS1

Firstly, welcome to the Seller Community + sorry to hear that you're here because you've run into trouble. If the only payment on this invoice is the cash transaction, Square will not deduct anything from your balance (account) the reason for this is that Cash transactions in Square are merely reports to keep your books. However, if the Invoice has a card transaction as well then that changes everything because you would be charged for the amount getting reversed to your customer's card. In this case, you would have to cancel the Invoice and charge it again.  

Part of being a financial institution means that we must keep track of every transaction made under our services. Because of this, we are unable to "delete" a payment or transaction from existence. 

I hope this information is helpful.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 10
Beta Member

Thank you very much for the clarification!!

Most people paid through square, but a few paid in cash.  I entered the cash payments on the invoices so they could have digital receipts.  I made an error though and entered one on the wrong invoice. 

When I initially started to do the refund, a notice came up reminding me that the amount would be deducted from my account, which is why I became concerned and contacted the community. 

So, I'm guessing that the software doesn't "read" where the payment came from until after the refund is initiated, but once it does, it stops and doesn't actually deduct and send the funds.  Maybe for a future update, have the programmers add the following to the reminder withdrawal:   "If the payment was made through Square...".

Thanks again, Nancy

Message 10 of 10