x

How do you open the cash drawer outside of a sale?

How do you open the cash drawer outside of a sale?  Is

There a no sale button?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 22
2 Best Answers

Best Answer

Easiest:

Make sure there is no charged items in the register, and should have a "no sale" on the upper right of the screen. Just hit the charge button and confirm the "$0.00". The cash register will open and the activity will show up as a no sale.

Other option:

Settings>> Cash Drawer>> Test. no activity will show but more buttons to push

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 22

Best Answer

Hello @Colarussop! I recommend checking out our Employee Management feature. This will allow you to create a profile for your employees and assign permissions. Each employee will have their own employee passcode to access Point of Sale. 

We have introduced a permission called Manage & Start Cash Drawers. If you do not assign this permission to an employee they will need a managers passcode to open the cash drawer outside of a sale. 

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Best Answer

Easiest:

Make sure there is no charged items in the register, and should have a "no sale" on the upper right of the screen. Just hit the charge button and confirm the "$0.00". The cash register will open and the activity will show up as a no sale.

Other option:

Message 2 of 22

Is there a way to prevent this functionality? I noticed that my employee tend to open the cash drawer several times a day to swap out small bills from his tip jar and there were a few occations that the cash drawer was not balanced at the end of the day by a lot. I don't anyone to open the cash drawer without any actual sales transaction except using the keys to open it manually.

Message 3 of 22

Hello @mellie!

We currently don't have a way to block this, but I think a new employee permission might be a feasible fix. I will make sure to pass this feature request along to the product team! If I have any updates I will post them in this thread. 

For the time being you should be able to track who's making sales for $0 dollars in your reports. 

Message 4 of 22

How do you employee permissions?? The ability to just randomly open the register is a HUGE PROBLEM WITH THIS SYSTEM!! HELPPPPP

Message 5 of 22

Best Answer

Hello @Colarussop! I recommend checking out our Employee Management feature. This will allow you to create a profile for your employees and assign permissions. Each employee will have their own employee passcode to access Point of Sale. 

We have introduced a permission called Manage & Start Cash Drawers. If you do not assign this permission to an employee they will need a managers passcode to open the cash drawer outside of a sale. 

Message 6 of 22

Yes!  My employees are in and out of there and things just keep adding up.  I would like to prevent the ‘No Sale’ button.

Message 7 of 22

Hi,

im seeming to have the same

problem....I believe my employee is stealing cash, and the no sale button and 00 comes up in transactions. But I can’t quite catch what they are doing... 

did you you find out anything? 

Message 8 of 22
Beta Member

I had the same problem and I guess so far Square don't have answer for it.

My employee would cancel the item that was rung up and pocket the cash.

Square doesn't leave any record of rung up item being erased.

Employees later open the cash register with this function and do something strange, but can't tell what it is...

I really hate to do it.. but I had to install the camera in an obvious place where it is covering the cash register button and the screens.  I feel bad to some of the good employees about it.. but so far that is the only solution that I have found.

Message 9 of 22

How would someone cancel the item? I see that they can issue a refund, but what would they do to essentially void the item and delete the record of the cash sale?

Message 10 of 22
Super Seller

@Vincent, I believe what @cornerstore is referring to is something like the following example.  if an employee rings up a sale, say for $37, to the point of hitting done or whatever the last button is to complete the sale.  then they ask the customer if they want a receipt and if they say no then they give change on the $40 out of the drawer but pocket the 2 twenties then or later and there is never a transaction that is shown in Square because they never completed the sale.  if the customer wants a receipt then it is harder because they have to complete the sale to print it.

Message 11 of 22

I don’t see that we have a no sale button, or just a settings button either......

Message 12 of 22
Admin

Hey @Jaddy, sorry for the confusion. Are you set up with Point of Sale or Square Register? In addition, can you let me know if your cash drawer is connected via USB or wifi?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 13 of 22

I need to buy a cash drawer, and obviously the cheapest option is the printer driven one... but, if the operator of the register chooses NOT to print a receipt (which would be common for a cash sale in our cafeteria) does that mean that the drawer will NOT open?

Thanks,

Glenn

Message 14 of 22
Alumni

Hi @bushman4 - You can still open the cash drawer outside of a sale even if it's connected to the printer. I've merged your post here which includes instructions on how to open it.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 15 of 22

Is it possible to set up the cash drawer to open with a credit card sale?

Message 16 of 22
Admin

@BizarreBazaar

I'm moving your post to a relevant thread where this has been discussed in the case you have further questions that can be answered here.

There is no way to set this up to do automatically - but you can open it after the sale has been closed.  

Is it possible to set up the cash drawer to open with a credit card sale?

Other option:

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 17 of 22

Thank you for replying. We are new to Square and are learning all about it.🌸

Message 18 of 22

We have our receipt printer set up to print a paper receipt with signature/tip line. How can we have the drawer open automatically as to put the receipt inside each transaction?

Message 19 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ZWaxItSalon - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋😊

If you have a printer-driven cash drawer, your printer should be opening the cash drawer after you print a receipt. If you have a USB cash drawer, you will essentially need to tell the cash drawer to open since it won't receive a signal directly from your printer.

To do this:

Do not add any items or price to a new sale

Then click "charge" or "review sale"
Click "confirm $0.00" then this should open your cash drawer

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 22

The no sale feature of Square is a pain and encourages dishonest employees to take cash. Also why doesnt the cash drawer open when starting a drawer? How do you get cash in the freakin drawer without the key?

Message 21 of 22