x

How exactly does the scanner work with Square Retail in the checkout?

When I start a sale and I'm in the "Checkout" tab I use the barcode reader, but it doesn't show me the scanned product.

Currently I must:

1) press the "Search" button,
2) Scan the product,
3) "Square" returns me to the "Checkout" window.
4) I press the "Return search results" button.
5) There I see the product and select the variant (size, color) and press the button "add to cart".
6) Finally, I see the 1st product in the "Checkout" window.

Imagine that process for each product for ONE customer carrying 5 items and a line of 3 to 5 waiting customers.

Is there a way that when I scan the product having the "Checkout" window active the product appears there immediately?

I use iPad Air 2 and Socket bluetooth scanner.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

You have to enter every bar code number item by item for every product you sell under your "Items". In the same screen where you create an item and add the name and the price, you can put your cursor in the "SKU" field and scan the item to read it or key the number in below the bar code manually.

Once the item's bar code is in your system you can scan it with the reader.

Message 2 of 4

I know that, @BME 

All my items have their respective "SKU".
This is not the problem.

I feel that the "Checkout" process is slow because I have to do all the steps I described above.

My question is:
Is there any way that when scanning an item appears directly in the checkout without having to use the search button?

Message 3 of 4
Admin

@skyrossports

We had the team look into this a bit for you and sounds like something is set up incorrectly. Your scanner seems to currently be set up as a "keyboard," which means it's reading the SKU but types it into the search field for you.

The good news is we just need to do a bit of re-configuring this, and you'll have a much more smooth expereince.

If you disconnect the scanner and then go through the steps to configure it again by scanning the code in the POS during setup, it should resolve this issue. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 4 of 4