x

How much data needed for Square?

Hi,

Having no internet access where I sell (outdoor craft fair) I think of getting a mobile hotspot. Offline payments seem too risky to me.

Who does it this way and can tell me how much data is needed to run Square , maybe per transaction?

Your input would help me a great deal!

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@Fabriganics - Not very much at all! A basic data plan should be enough to use Square on your mobile device, below is an example of Square’s data usage per transaction:

Signing in to Square Register ~ 8 kb of data
Declined payments ~ 4 kb of data
Completed payments ~ 10 kb of data
Issuing a refund ~ 4 kb of data
Resending a receipt ~ 4 kb of data

Just keep in mind that any data usage outside of the Square app (ie. web browsing, email, apps) may require you to sign up for a larger data plan.

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Admin

@kkvnm1 Since the Register uses our own software, we do run automatic updates. You can take a look at that article to see when exactly those updates occur. 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 22 of 27

I am looking at getting an ipad to use with the stand however I am not sure which one is best to go with..the Ipad pro, 6th generation or 7th?  Any suggestions as to which is best and why?  We will be using it with the stand to cash out customers, take photos of items we sell to post on line, and occassionally videos. Also which would you suggest 32 GB, 64GB or 128GB???

Message 23 of 27
Admin

Hi @mfairbanks24! Check out Sean's answer above. 🙂

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 24 of 27
Super Seller

@mfairbanks24 If you want to use the Square stand you will need to use one of the following iPads.  As for Capacity of the iPad the base size is fine for 95% of people and I wouldn't waste money on doubling the storage as almost everything is Cloud based or streaming now.

iPad (6th generation 2018)
iPad (5th generation 2017)
iPad Pro 9.7”
iPad Air 2
iPad Air (1st generation 2013)

The Following iPads are Not supported:
iPad (7th generation 2019)
iPad Air (3rd generation 2019)

Message 25 of 27

I’m planning on purchasing a prepaid cell data card to use in an older Samsung galaxy for use with square for special event. How much data is used during a transaction? For example, if I run 100 credit cards in one day how much data would that require?

Message 26 of 27

Hi, hope you have a blessed event with lots of sales.  I found this article on Square that might help.

https://squareup.com/help/ca/en/article/4963-data-plans-and-sms-policy

Hope this helps!

Terri

🛍 Shop my stores

Personalized Gifts - name-gift-box.square.site

Home Decor - enhance-home.square.site

Resale Collection - hanger-hues.square.site

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 27 of 27