x
Highlighted
Fabriganics

How much data needed for Square?

Hi,

Having no internet access where I sell (outdoor craft fair) I think of getting a mobile hotspot. Offline payments seem too risky to me.

Who does it this way and can tell me how much data is needed to run Square , maybe per transaction?

Your input would help me a great deal!

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Sean Square

Re: How much data needed for Square?

Best Answer

@Fabriganics - Not very much at all! A basic data plan should be enough to use Square on your mobile device, below is an example of Square’s data usage per transaction:

Signing in to Square Register ~ 8 kb of data
Declined payments ~ 4 kb of data
Completed payments ~ 10 kb of data
Issuing a refund ~ 4 kb of data
Resending a receipt ~ 4 kb of data

Just keep in mind that any data usage outside of the Square app (ie. web browsing, email, apps) may require you to sign up for a larger data plan.

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks! 

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Sean Square

Best Answer

@Fabriganics - Not very much at all! A basic data plan should be enough to use Square on your mobile device, below is an example of Square’s data usage per transaction:

Signing in to Square Register ~ 8 kb of data
Declined payments ~ 4 kb of data
Completed payments ~ 10 kb of data
Issuing a refund ~ 4 kb of data
Resending a receipt ~ 4 kb of data

Just keep in mind that any data usage outside of the Square app (ie. web browsing, email, apps) may require you to sign up for a larger data plan.

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks! 

Message 2 of 18
cyndi

Excellent response. I had the same question, so thanks for asking! 

Message 3 of 18
Sean Square

@cyndi - Glad it was helpful. 😊

@Fabriganics - Kudos for asking! 👍

Message 4 of 18
Fabriganics

@Sean: thanks so much for your very detailed and helpful answer. THAT'S great customer service! 

Message 5 of 18
Nschober

I have a cash only business. Does it still use 10 Kbps to complete a transaction? I would also use this to report total sales, track inventory and determine how much I paid tor the inventory sold in a month along with other reports. I would also like to know if the square stand will print to a standard print or only a receipt print?

thank you

Message 6 of 18
Sean Square

@Nschober - These numbers were based on credit card transactions, but I imagine that Cash transactions will still require a bit of data since a receipt would still be sent. As I mentioned above, a receipt requires around 4 kb of data.

For your second question, it's best to create a separate thread when you have a question that isn't directly related. Having said that, you can find more details on recommended hardware for the Square Stand here. Short answer: the Square stand only works with specific receipt printer models only.   

Message 7 of 18
Wonderstruck

Just want to clarify this post/response thread... I am able to process payments through mobile data (no internet connection and without using offline mode). I have an unlimited data plan, so I'm not worried about data usage. I am just trying to determine which is the best way to take payments, data or offline mode.

Message 8 of 18
VanKalkerFarms Super Seller

The best way is never in offline mode. There is a ton of risk in that. Whereas using your mobile data (which is an internet connection just using cellular data rather than landline) will approve or decline the credit cards instantly. The total data it will use in a month will be less than streaming 1 minute of a YouTube video. 

Message 9 of 18
Wonderstruck

Thank you @VanKalkerFarms !

Message 10 of 18