x

Feature Request: Add Modifiers or Options to Services

Feature Request: Add Modifiers or Options to Services

PLEASE give the ability to add modifiers to services. This one omission is what keeps Square Appointments from being the perfect tool for my business.

Creating a separate service for each wanted modifier does not work, because just like items, certain modifiers only apply to certain services.

Being able to create modifiers for services, and possibly a time duration to each modifier to be added to the service time would be perfect. For example, as a vehicle detailing business:

SERVICE: Premium Detail (2 hrs)

Modifiers:

• Hand wax +$10 (+20min)
  • Sealant +$20 (+20min)
  • Fabric Guard +$20/+$30/+$40 (+20min)
  • etc.

As you can see, having a $20 fabric guard as a standalone service does not make sense, as it can not be booked as a standalone service. It's an add-on modifier to the Premium Detail. And perhaps I have another detail package that includes the fabric guard in the price, so that modifier doesn't necessarily apply to every service.

I can see this same concept working flawlessly with many other industries as well, such as a hair salon. The service could be a haircut, and an addon modifier could be "shampoo & blow dry". But a shampoo & blow dry is not a standalone service- it only works as a modifier to a haircut service.

Not only would this functionality tie in perfectly with the way items are already setup within Square, but it allows us to remember all the upsale and crossale options for our services, thereby increasing revenue for both the merchant as well as Square.

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I get add ons available to book with a service

@Archilaveronica You can add variations to a Service, but there isn't a way to set up Add-Ons I'm afraid. It's a feature request we're tracking in this post.

In the meantime, I hope you can use variations to create different combinations of your services! 

Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Add Modifiers to Services

@AROBINSON we're with you, modifiers for services would be fantastic!

However, until this featuere comes around we've figured out a workaround.

Here's how it would look for you:

• Create your main services: "Premium Detail", "Standard Detail", etc.

• Then create more services: "+Hand Wax", "+Sealant", "+Fabric Guard 1", "+Fabric Guard 2", "+Fabric Guard 3", etc

When booking an appointment, it would look like this:

Mr. Joe Black

Thursday, Feb 7, 2019

9:00 AM-11:40 AM (2 hr, 40 mins)

Booked by You on 2/6/2019

SERVICES & ITEMS

Premium Detail (2 hours) $100.00

+Hand Wax (20 minutes) $20.00

+Sealant (20 minutes) $20.00

Total $140.00

167 Comments

I don't want the customers to see my name on the booking page. Also, how can I make my service modifiers show up as options a customer can choose while booking online?

Hi, with my services i include a lot of add-ons that are available to my customers. I've tried everything to make these modifiers appear on the online booking site to no avail. Is there a way to do this other than making everything its own service? I feel that would be way too much for a customer to have to scroll through.

I want them to be able to choose their Service (House Cleaning), then choose their option (2 bedroom 1 bath), then have AN ADDITIONAL page where they can choose from my modifiers (oven, windows, walls, etc.)

Please let me know if there is a way to do this. It seems to work fine with the modifiers if I do the checkout myself, but I really would like the customers to be able to choose these additional options. Thank you.

Admin

Hey @Lemonclear!

From here you can edit whether a staff member is Bookable by Customers Online.

Here's an image of the setting:

When creating a service in Square Appointments, while in service details you can turn modifier visibility on or off. 

Here is an image below:

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. 

Thanks. I was able to fix my name issue. I still can't figure out how to get my modifiers to show up to the customers on the online booking page. 

I explained my problem better here: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/How-do-I-make-my-Modifiers-appear-on-the-online-...

Admin

Hey there @Lemonclear!

I just moved your post over here. Seems to me like you'll want to use variations rather than modifiers!

If you check out that post and go through the steps shown, you should be set. But don't hesitate to give our Appointments team a call if you run into any problems!

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing!! It looks like Nika was able to reply to your post a couple of hours ago in that thread. Let's continue working for that issue in that thread to keep all the answers in their perspective places.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

I already have 6 variations on my service. I need my 'add-ons'(modifiers) to appear after the customer chooses one of my 6 service variations.

I'm at a loss. I've literally tried everything I possibly can to get my modifiers to show up for the customer on the online booking page. Like I don't understand why Square allows me to create the services, variations, and modifier sets only to have the modifier sets not appear on the booking page. I don't understand why. Don't you guys make more money with the more we sell? 

Square Community Moderator

That makes sense - so you are looking for basically a second set of modifiers that you can use? 

I hear you that this feature is needed, but having a secondary set of variations/modifiers would be a feature request. It may be best at this point to reach out to our Appointments Team so they can work on a workaround for you.

@LTS have you found a workaround that worked for you in this situation that may work for @Lemonclear?

Beta Member

I have been using Square Appointments for over two years now and am really surprised the “Add-On” feature is still not an option. I can’t imagine a business that wouldn’t benefit from this.

For example, if a client books a massage and wants to add a feature (1. That might take more time and 2. That costs more) it is extremely beneficial for them as well as the practitioner to be able to book that on the website without any question or confusion. Currently, the feature is not only unavailable for them but for the business. 

Is there something in the works soon? 

Currently the only option is to create a whole item with said add-on which can make your list of menu items too lengthy and confusing to someone. The whole point of using Square Appointments is that it’s convenient to the client booking the appointment themselves.