x
Admin

How to Connect Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi Network

Hello Seller Community!

I wanted to take a minute to share the steps to connect Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi network. I've also included some information about the different types of internet networks that are compatible/not compatible with Square Terminal.

To connect the Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi network if you are signed in to the device:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines (☰) > tap Settings > Device > Network.
  2. Select Wi-Fi and choose a secure network. Enter a password if necessary.
  3. Tap Next to proceed.

To connect the Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi network if you are not signed in:

1. Tap Change Settings > Network
  2. Select Wi-Fi and choose a secure network. Enter a password if necessary
  3. Hit the back arrow > X and tap sign in to load your Terminal.

You can also connect the Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi network using an ethernet cable or to an internet hotspot.

Keep in mind that you won’t be able to connect your Square Terminal to a captive portal network. A captive portal is a network that requires you to agree to terms or conditions to access the internet connection (these networks are common at coffee shops, airports, and other public internet access points). Connecting over public or unsecured networks may introduce more risk as compared to secured networks.

Internet / Wi-Fi Network type Details Compatible with Square Terminal?

Wi-Fi Network

An internet network, usually password-protected, that you set up for your business with a Wi-Fi router.

Ethernet Network

An internet network where you can connect devices to using an ethernet cable.

*Square Terminal Hub required.

Wi-Fi Hotspot 

An internet network, usually password-protected, where you set up for your business using another internet-enabled device, e.g. a smartphone or laptop. 

Captive Portal Network

Any Wi-Fi network that requires you to agree to terms or conditions to access the internet connection. Most common in public internet access points.

Questions? Reply below!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 7
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

How to Connect Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi Network

Hello Seller Community!

I wanted to take a minute to share the steps to connect Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi network. I've also included some information about the different types of internet networks that are compatible/not compatible with Square Terminal.

To connect the Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi network if you are signed in to the device:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines (☰) > tap Settings > Device > Network.
  2. Select Wi-Fi and choose a secure network. Enter a password if necessary.
  3. Tap Next to proceed.

To connect the Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi network if you are not signed in:

1. Tap Change Settings > Network
  2. Select Wi-Fi and choose a secure network. Enter a password if necessary
  3. Hit the back arrow > X and tap sign in to load your Terminal.

You can also connect the Square Terminal to a Wi-Fi network using an ethernet cable or to an internet hotspot.

Keep in mind that you won’t be able to connect your Square Terminal to a captive portal network. A captive portal is a network that requires you to agree to terms or conditions to access the internet connection (these networks are common at coffee shops, airports, and other public internet access points). Connecting over public or unsecured networks may introduce more risk as compared to secured networks.

Internet / Wi-Fi Network type Details Compatible with Square Terminal?

Wi-Fi Network

An internet network, usually password-protected, that you set up for your business with a Wi-Fi router.

Ethernet Network

An internet network where you can connect devices to using an ethernet cable.

*Square Terminal Hub required.

Wi-Fi Hotspot 

An internet network, usually password-protected, where you set up for your business using another internet-enabled device, e.g. a smartphone or laptop. 

Captive Portal Network

Any Wi-Fi network that requires you to agree to terms or conditions to access the internet connection. Most common in public internet access points.

Questions? Reply below!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

I hope these steps to connect your Square Terminal to Wi-Fi helpful! Feel free to share any tips that have helped you in the past. 

If you are experiencing issues review these Square Terminal Wi-Fi troubleshooting steps

️ Tom | he/him

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Best Answer

I hope these steps to connect your Square Terminal to Wi-Fi helpful! Feel free to share any tips that have helped you in the past. 

If you are experiencing issues review these Square Terminal Wi-Fi troubleshooting steps

️ Tom | he/him
Message 2 of 7

they are not helping how do I remove my hotspot, which is clearly working because I am here

Message 3 of 7

My terminal will not communicate with the internet. WiFi n ethernet are working on other devices. Terminal says it is connected

Message 4 of 7
Square Community Moderator

HI @GlennT I'm sorry to hear your Square Terminal is having trouble connecting to internet. I've merged your post with an existing thread that can help get you back on your feet, but if that doesn't work then you will need to follow our general troubleshooting steps before contacting our Support Team.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 7

Connect to unsecured network? That's all that's available

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Cornshux,

The Square Terminal wouldn't be able to connect to an unsecured network, unfortunately. Setting up a wifi hotspot, for example via your phone, could be a workaround here. 

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 

Message 7 of 7