x

How to Delete Shipping Field from Checkout LInks

I use Checkout links to sell classes. I do not ship anything and would like to eliminate the shipping field from the customer facing forms. The Square website and Square customer service say there is a way to do this, but no explanation as to how. This is the most recent statement I received from Square Customer Service:

"With the Checkout API you have the option to set "ask_for_shipping_address" to "false" on the CreateCheckout request. This should take care of the shipping issue."

I would like to know specifically and in layman's terms where and how to eliminate all references to shipping when using Checkout links.

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @INTGMND, I'm so sorry for the confusion - I hope I can help clarify!

At this time if you're using Square Checkout Links it's not possible to remove the shipping field or to accept these orders for pick up. I've asked our team to include this fact in our Support Center so it's clearer to you and other sellers too! If you need to sell an item and give your customers the pick up fulfillment option you should have to create a full Online Store

I'm sorry again for the trouble this has caused. We'll let you know here if you can use pick up with checkout links in future! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @INTGMND, I'm so sorry for the confusion - I hope I can help clarify!

At this time if you're using Square Checkout Links it's not possible to remove the shipping field or to accept these orders for pick up. I've asked our team to include this fact in our Support Center so it's clearer to you and other sellers too! If you need to sell an item and give your customers the pick up fulfillment option you should have to create a full Online Store

I'm sorry again for the trouble this has caused. We'll let you know here if you can use pick up with checkout links in future! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 6

Thank you Helen! I did create my online store and was able to create links for my classes and designate them as "services" which successfully eliminated the shipping field from the customer's payment page. However, once the customer pays for their class, the confirmation page they receive says "we'll notify you when your item ships". I would like to eliminate this line from the confirmation page since it's confusing to the customer as they've purchased an onsite class. Nothing will be shipped to them. So I have the online store set up and I have my items designated as services. I just need to know how to make the customer's payment confirmation page accurate by deleting the statement about shipping. Thank you for your help! @Helen @

Message 3 of 6
Admin

No problem @INTGMND! I'm glad you were able to create a store.😄 

It sounds like you might have selected Physical for your Item Type —but if you select Service your customers will not be prompted to enter shipping information nor will they be notified that their item will ship.

Unfortunately, you aren't able to change the Item Type for an existing item, but if you create a new item you can select Service from the Item Type dropdown menu. To do this, navigate to your Store editor then click Item Library > click Add Item (top right) > click Item Type > select Service.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 6

That's not the case. As I explained in my prior post, all of my items are designated as "services". The customer is not prompted to enter a shipping address prior to making payment. However after payment for the service the customer automatically sees a confirmation page from Square which says "you will be notified when your item ships". This language should not appear in a confirmation for a purchase of a service. Please advise @Helen Thank you. 

Message 5 of 6

Hi Helen,
Can you ask your development team or business analyst or user experience expert why the "Square Checkout Links" does not have this option when three of the use cases described on the documentation for the "Square Checkout Links" seem to indicate that these links are made to receive payments without shipment? The three I am referring to are: 1) collect a payment 2) accept a donation 3) sell classes or tickets. As someone who is a developer/analyst myself, I would normally assess something like this as a blatant design error, as there seems to be little reason for "Square Checkout Links" without the ability to remove shipping as a fulfillment option.

Secondarily, I don't want to put such items in my store, as this would likely confuse the customer thinking they are buying something I will ship. For example: I may want to offer a product+shipping on my store, but I may want to discount that same item in person (no shipping). 

Thanks!

Message 6 of 6