x

How to change paid invoice to unpaid?

Forgive my ignorance, but I can't find how to change an invoice that was mistakenly marked as paid to unpaid. I have scoured the forums and interwebs but I just can't seem to find out how and if it's even possible. 

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @cflms

I'm surprised we don't already have a thread about this already. Currently once an invoice is marked as paid you can't edit it to be outstanding again. 

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me! 🙂

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Best Answer

Hello @cflms

I'm surprised we don't already have a thread about this already. Currently once an invoice is marked as paid you can't edit it to be outstanding again. 

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me! 🙂

Message 2 of 26

Just wondering if there are any changes to the invoice problem, I recently marked a unpaid invoice as paid and I was hoping that something had changed in this area? 

Message 3 of 26
Admin

Hi @121212- Thanks for checking in. We don't have any new development in regards to changing a paid invoice to unpaid. But if this changes, we'll make sure to share this update here in the Community.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 26

How do I get the payment off my records?

Must be done. As in... no other option here because the customer paid electronically elsewhere. I cannot Refund it either- because the customer didn't pay within Square (otherwise I'd not have this issue! haha) 

I looked into the refund idea- as I saw that on another thread, but the screen pops up saying it will be taking it out of my account. 

Someone else said because they didn't pay... they wouldn't receive a refund... but that is Not what Square says when I go to issue the refund in order to get it out of the income report. 

Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 26

I have this problem too. Would appreciate Square making this possible. It seems like it should be an easy feature to add.

Message 6 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @LMS2. We will be sure to update this thread when this feature becomes available. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 26

This seems like a basic feature.

QuickBooks lets you do this.

Message 8 of 26

AGREED.

I marked an invoice as PAID- which it was, but not via Square- however I was documenting my payments within Square... because the customer was on a payment plan. 

Now it shows up in the records as an "Other" payment form, meaning it's on my books Twice and I cannot mark the invoice as UNPAID nor can I eliminate it.

This needs to be addressed!

Message 9 of 26

@Chad please provide a response from Square. Your customers have been telling you for years that they need this feature for accurate reporting. What is Square going to do about this?

Message 10 of 26

Hi @ashleymiglini I'm gonna be taking over here for Chad, but I appreciate your time in reaching out and sharing your feedback on how this feature request is affecting your business. Unfortunately, I don't have any timeline to give for when this feature will be available. I hear you in your frustration and I understand how this feature can help your business! I want to make sure I share this with our Development Team and thank you for your patience while we continue to track this feature request. 

AshleyK
Message 11 of 26

I needed this as well.... 

I just want to ADD to the existing invoice, which the customer paid in advance of the due date.... really stinks that this feature isn't available. 

Message 12 of 26
Beta Member

Hi, I really need this. i've accidentally marked invoices as paid by 'other'- this seems to happen with invoices containing deposits/milestones, and this could potentially lead to nasty and unnecessary disputes with clients. It's a feature that is very straightforward to implement.

Message 13 of 26
Alumni

Still not available but we'll let you know if anything changes. Subscribe to this thread for update notifications!

@2ucprint

Justin
Message 14 of 26

Three years has passed and this option still hasn't been updated..

A little coding in the back end would solve this issue. 

Square is great but these little add-ons would make it stand out to its competitors.. 

Message 15 of 26

Hello @EauKangenWater- Thank you for checking in on this feature request. I know waiting for something to be implemented is really frustrating. We are trying to find better ways to track and streamline all our feature requests   I don't see this request is actually on our Ideate Board, which is our new process for tracking feature requests. As @JJOrtiz mentioned above that is going to be the best way to get updates on this request. If you don't mind providing your feedback and how this affects your business that would be hugely helpful. Thank you so much for hanging in here with us while we work to get this resolved. 

Message 16 of 26

This would be a great feature to have an override for mistakes. 

Message 17 of 26

Any update here?  Desperately need to be able to add to invoices that have already been paid.  I invoice customers for catering and it is fairly common they want to add to their order.  I need the entire order to be on one invoice.  Please help

Message 18 of 26

Hello @CarolinaSmoke , good to see you post again and welcome back!

Currently there is no ability to modify an invoice once its been paid. Moving forward you will need to create a new order if you have repeat customers.

As a work around, you are able to duplicate a prior invoice and copy over most information. 

Check out this popular help topic here: https://squ.re/2AbMQfa 

Any updates or modifications made to this ability within invoices will be posted in this thread.

Hope this helps! 

Frida
Message 19 of 26
Beta Member

This is terrible! How can you not mark an invoice as Unpaid? I accidentally got a invoice number confused and now I have no way to rectify that? 

Message 20 of 26

I had to mark the invoice as refunded and issue a new one.. But wasn't able to back date it. So it's frustrating. 

Message 21 of 26