x

How do I add a surcharge to a sale?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

How do I add the fee to the customers bill?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 260
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 193 of 260
259 REPLIES 259

Is it possible to have customers pay the transaction fees?

Message 85 of 260

I've been trying to get the same answer. It seems we are able, legally, have the client pay the fee in California. I wish square would give that option and not charge us a % fee on that amount on top of it
Message 86 of 260

Could you add the fee as an additional, but identify it as Credit Card Fee. 

Message 87 of 260

Additional tax. 

Message 88 of 260

In California if you accept VISA payments you ARE NOT allowed to pass on your processing fees to your customers. This is a part of doing business. Generally you will write the processing fee off on your taxes. There are some judgements in Appeals Court, but at the time of this writing, you are not allowed to pass on this fee in CA.

Message 89 of 260

Note (2019): Square's per transaction fee for card payments that are dipped, tapped or swiped is 2.6% + 10c. Learn more in our Support Center.

The prohibition of adding surcharges in California of which you mentioned has been ruled unconstitutional as of March 2015. See this link: https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/credit_cards.

However, what I believe you can do (even in California) is set a price that takes the added surcharge fee into account as your published price, but then offer a "discount" price for cash-paying customers, like many gas stations do. Square lets you set a discount amount or percentage on your dashboard. To calculate the price based on surcharge overhead, simply do the following computation: X = Y/0.9725, where X is the price you would charge the customer and Y is the amount you expect to collect from the credit card vendor. As you will see, the numbers consistently add up correctly (rather than using the 2.83% estimate). To set the discount on the dashboard, simply enter 2.75% and use it whenever patients pay cash. Beware of other laws, such as deceptive pricing laws, etc. And ALWAYS make sure your pricing policy is clearly posted or noticed in your place of business.

Message 90 of 260

How do I charge the fees to the customer without them being added to squares total charges?

Message 91 of 260

The only way i thought to do this is to add the % to each item example if the item is 20.00 the fee would be 2.95 % + .15

20.00=2.95%= 20.59 +.15= 20.74 but then the % is added to the total of 20.74 i think the best way may be to add tax. 

Message 92 of 260
Square Community Moderator

@radman @sippaintsmile Check out this thread for more suggestions on surcharges. A few of your fellow sellers might have work arounds that can help!

Message 93 of 260

How much per transaction is taken.  I want all my money.  What should i charge them for using square.  Im not gettin all my freakin cash. 

Message 94 of 260
Admin

Hey @Srcarey40 — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the reply from Sean and let us know if that helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 95 of 260

We are a small business in Colorado. We want to charge 4 percent for crdit card transactions to cover our costs.  What steps must be taken to do this? Everywhere I use my credit card charges me a surcharge/fee for using my card yet your site says my state is 1 that prohibits this practice.  I need to figure out how to cover costs associated with using square with my customers.

Message 96 of 260

I need to charge someone $110. I enter the card manually. How much do I charge so it includes the fees that square has?

Thanks!

Lavinia

Message 97 of 260
Admin

Hey @Lavinia, a handful of sellers had a similar question. Have a look at this post and let us know if anything else comes up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 98 of 260

Is there an option for the customer to choose to cover the fee instead of the fee being deducted from what is deposited into the bank account?

Message 99 of 260
Alumni

Hi @SOCC - thanks for posting and welcome to the community! 

I moved your post to this thread - there are a lot of good answers and tips about adding a surcharge to cover the fees you pay to Square. Be sure to take a looks at Sean's post - it covers the most important details on this subject. 

Make sure to post again with any questions you have. 😊

Message 100 of 260

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Processing fees”. The original author has been notified via email.

Is there a way I can set up so I can pass the Processing Fee onto my customers??

Message 101 of 260

For example a customer is charged $80 but the app applies the fees so it reads $82.00, instead of me calculating it 

Message 102 of 260
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Is there a way this service auto calculates the fees?”

Hello @Lisetteca1! Is sounds like you're adding a surcharge to card payments so I've moved your post here. Please read Sean's best answer about best practices for adding a surcharge, and the workarounds suggested by other sellers in this thread! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 103 of 260

I'm in illiIlli and allowed to choose wether or not I will do a survharge for credit card payments. How can I apply a 3% surcharge to credit/debit card purchases? 

Message 104 of 260
Super Seller

the easiest way is to make an item called "convenience fee" or something like it.  then add that item and calculate the total times .0283 to get your fee.  

so $100 total times .0283 = $2.83

so charge a total of $102.83 and you will get $100 deposit from Square.

see this article for more info.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5671 and this thread with some discussions in it. https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/How-do-I-add-a-surcharge-to-my-customers-bill/m-...

On a personal note as a business owner and a customer, just build the credit card fee into your prices just like you build your property taxes, labor wages, utilities, workers compensation, Rent, cost of goods, profit margin, etc into your price now.  It just looks like you are pinching pennies from your customer and may turn them off from buying in my opinion.  

Message 105 of 260