x
Beta Member

How to delete a variation of an item?

We erroneously entered variations for some items and want to delete the variation. I do not see an option for this. How is this done?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Super Seller

https://squareup.com/dashboard/items/library click on the item you want to edit then

you can click the 3 dots to the right of the variation and delete is one of the options.

in-app go to items click on the item you want then click on the 4 bars to the left of the variation and one option is to remove the variation.

Message 2 of 24
Beta Member

That does not work. Here's the steps I took, and what I am presented with:

Items Library --> scroll to an item that has a variant.

Click ">" to expand variant(s)

CLick "..." and only choice is "edit"

Click "edit" and there is no "delete option. I can only add/change information for the variation. No way to remove.

@VanKalkerFarms you are able to delete variations following your steps?

Tested in Chrome and Firefox, it is not a browser issue either.

Message 3 of 24
Super Seller

@Horsefeathers, yes.  don't click the >, click the item as a whole, not the specific variation, and it will bring you to an edit item screen where you can continue following the steps to delete the variant.  clicking on the > only brings up the edit variant options.

Message 4 of 24
Beta Member

Perfect. Thanks.
Message 5 of 24

Oh my goodness. I cannot follow this thread. I cannot find any way to delete a variant. I have no ". . ." on my screen when I navigate to an individual item. I've looked for them both via the portal online and iPad. Any insights as to why I cannot see the option to delete a variant is appreciated.

Message 6 of 24
Admin

Hey @PennyC. Hopefully I can help clarify with an image- and hopefully you see this same thing!

From your item library in the Online Dashboard, click on an item that has variations. It will take you to an Edit Item screen that looks like the page shown below:

You'll see the three dots to the right of each variation you've made. If you click on the three dots, it will give you the option to delete a variation. 

Hope this helps to better explain! Let me know if you run into any issues.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 7 of 24

In my items library I have an item that shows it has a variation. 

But when I click on either the item or the variation it does not give me the option on either ones to delete.
As a matter of fact when I open the actual item it does not show that it has a variation. And I'm not sure how it got there in the first place.

The variation only shows in the item library. How do I get rid of this ghost variation?

Message 8 of 24
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @EG66 - this definitely sounds strange.

Are you seeing this discrepancy from the Online Dashboard item library, or rather the mobile application?

This might be worth flagging over to our Support Team to take a deeper dive into. If this does end up being a larger discrepancy - especially regarding the Dashboard - we will want to file a report over to our Engineers.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions in the meantime. I will keep an eye out for your response!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 24

It's from the online dashboard item library

Message 10 of 24

It turns out you can delete all but the last variations with the 3 dots next to them in the list of the main item.
But to delete the last variation I had open the variation and delete the price, SKU and name.

Message 11 of 24
Alumni

🙌  @EG66

Glad you were able to figure it out. Thanks for looping back here and helping our other Sellers with a fix.

Let us know if you need anything else! 

Justin
Message 12 of 24

thank you.  I thought i was going insane

Message 13 of 24

Thanks, had the same problem. Deleting the variation individual details deleted the problem child.

Message 14 of 24

This method no longer applies. The interface has changed. It doesn't even look like that any more. This is what it looks like now:

YCBDS625_0-1610481248762.png

When you click on edit variation details, you get this dialog, which is absolutely no help at all:

YCBDS625_1-1610481421932.png

Message 15 of 24
Alumni

@YCBDS625 Click the three dots to the far right of the variation. 

Justin
Message 16 of 24

If you take another close look at the first image I posted, you will see that there are no 3 dots to the right of the variation. I think these variations on my screen were "ghost" or "phantom" variations that somehow showed up as I was experimenting with the idea of creating a variation. I  logged out and closed Square without saving the item. I even closed the tab. When I opened a new tab and logged into Square again, those variations were gone.

Plus one more thing, I am using Square for Retail. Not Square for Retail Plus or higher.

Message 17 of 24
Alumni

@YCBDS625 - Hmm, are you trying from the POS or Dashboard?

Justin
Message 18 of 24

The dashboard. It never occurred to me to try it in the POS app. 

Message 19 of 24
Alumni

The screenshot I included is from Dashboard as well. There shouldn't be a reason why you can't delete a variation. 

At this point, I suggest reaching out to CS. Maybe there's something I'm missing that they can pinpoint directly by looking at your account specifically. 

@YCBDS625

Justin
Message 20 of 24

Maybe I'll do that if I ever run across this problem again. For now, I have no custom variations and will likely leave it that way.

Message 21 of 24