x

How to delete multiple items?

We created over a period of time too many items which we don't use anymore. Is there a way to clean it up massively instead of one by one?

Message 1 of 75
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

While we don't have a "bulk delete" button, I have a work around that may work! You'll just need to update the items CSV from your Dashboard by exporting it, making your changes then importing the updated CSV back into your Dashboard. Here’s how:

First Export:

1. Sign in to your dashboard and click Items.
  2. Click ActionsImport/Export at the top-right of the page> Export Items

Make the necessary edits to you item library by delete the item rows that you do not need.

Import Updated CSV:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Import Items at the top right of dashboard.
  3. Select Replace Item Library and click Next.
  4. Drag and drop your updated .CSV template file into your Dashboard.
  5. Click Upload.
  6. Review your changes and click Confirm Import.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 75
74 REPLIES 74
Square

Best Answer

While we don't have a "bulk delete" button, I have a work around that may work! You'll just need to update the items CSV from your Dashboard by exporting it, making your changes then importing the updated CSV back into your Dashboard. Here’s how:

First Export:

1. Sign in to your dashboard and click Items.
  2. Click ActionsImport/Export at the top-right of the page> Export Items

Make the necessary edits to you item library by delete the item rows that you do not need.

Import Updated CSV:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Import Items at the top right of dashboard.
  3. Select Replace Item Library and click Next.
  4. Drag and drop your updated .CSV template file into your Dashboard.
  5. Click Upload.
  6. Review your changes and click Confirm Import.
Message 2 of 75

I want to erase my entire item library and start anew. I can't figure out how to delete all items. 

Message 3 of 75
Admin

Hey @CFT2006 — we've got you covered. 😎 Have a look at Kelly's reply and let us know how it goes! 👍

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 75

Judging from the the number of people asking about this, this seems like something that should be addressed from Square's side of things. There should be an easier way to bulk delete. 

Message 5 of 75

Yes, and still no answer as to how to do bulk delete. I have 10 years worth of inventory items that I want to be rid of and it is impossible to sit here for the next 3 year doing one at a time

HELP SQUARE

Message 6 of 75
Square Community Moderator

Hi @TheCopperPatina,

Thanks for writing back in to our community!

You'll find the import option when selecting Actions > Import Library from the Item tab in your Item Library.

Please let us know how you go! 

Message 7 of 75

There is no"Import Items" at the top right. Is there a latest version for 2021, for this answer?

Message 8 of 75

This did not work for me I tried doing it exactly as you say above, modifying the "stock list", and then uploading it to replace the "Items list". This did not work, and I got an error message. I then tried to upload the file to the "stock list" and got the message that there were no changes.

Message 9 of 75
Square Community Moderator

@MClinton the Stock List and the Item List are two separate files that definitely will lead to errors if you upload them incorrectly. 

In Kelly's example, you're simply downloading your item library, removing all of the items you no longer want, and then uploading that form with the changes back to your dashboard. 

Our Support Team can walk you through it if you need more assistance. 

Message 10 of 75

If you have items under categories- you can go to delete each category instead of items (eg, I deleted the category 'clothing' and it deleted the 38 items I had listed under it), and it will say "deleting this category will delete '38' items, do you wish to continue", I just did this for my shop and it saved me lots of time. 

Message 11 of 75

This also does not work. My entire inventory is now orphaned, and not a single item has a category associated with it. My items are all still in my inventory.

Message 12 of 75

Now you can't even delete a category and get rid of the items within the category. Square has a lot of work that needs to be done to make this an even semi functional POS system. 

Message 13 of 75

Hello @Junes! Deleting a category will not delete an item, because these two classifications can be independent of each other.

For example, if you're a retail store revamping your Item Library and and you previously carried 3 types of hockey sticks under sporting goods and you want to add more sporting goods since they're selling well. Now you carry 6 different brands of hockey sticks and goalie masks. Rather than deleting all the items and the category they live in you can just delete the category and move your items to their new homes under Hockey goods, Basketball goods, Baseball goods, I think you get the point I'm trying to make. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

Message 14 of 75

Well I just tried Kelly's approach and when I went to look at my item library, everything I deleted during the export was there even after I did a replacement import. What gives? I uploaded the CSV 4 times already and items I specifically deleted are still there. I deleted 8,000 items today so that our POS system will start to work, begin syncing again and will maintain new SKUs that are added. I couldn't have followed Kelly's steps more clearly. 

Message 15 of 75

@Junes, Interesting what kind of error message are you getting when you try and upload the CSV file? 

Message 16 of 75

Same issue with me -- I even tried exporting and then importing without editing the file and got the same error messages.

Message 17 of 75
Square

@primordialsoup @alanvedge - Sorry to hear about the trouble! Would you mind reaching out directly? A supporter can take a closer at each of your indivdual .CSV files. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 18 of 75

Can't seem to find the way to import. I see the "create item" button but no way to import. Where is it?

Message 19 of 75
Square

@bandoraone - You'll need to navigate to a location-specific dashboard first. Here's a screenshot: 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 20 of 75

I also need to delete lots of items, which were synced automatically from BigCommerce. Can we please add this to Feature Request list? Thanks!

Message 21 of 75