x

How to migrate gift cards from another merchant service

How do i migrate gift cards from another company with my new square account

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@Square_head - We'd be happy to help you migrate your gift cards from another provider over to Square.

While we'll need you to work directly with a supporter to do this so give us a call. In the meantime, here is an overview of the process:

When you call our team we'll request a CSV file that lists your previously issued gift cards. We will then upload the card data to your Square account so that you can redeem and check balances by manually entering the gift card number with the Square Point of Sale app.

Below are a few tips to get the most out of migrating your gift cards to Square:

• Any gift cards you’ve purchased from another provider that haven’t been issued will need to be discarded. 
  • Non-Square gift cards can’t be activated or reloaded with Square.
  • Square can’t guarantee that all gift card number formats will be supported with the Square app.

Before getting in touch with us to get the migration process started, you'll want to make sure you've already taken these steps:

1. Confirm you’ve ordered you Square Gift Cards. You can order physical gift cards from your online Square Dashboard if you haven’t done so yet. 
  2. Obtain a report in the form of a CSV from your current gift card provider. The CSV report needs to contain all previously issued gift cards, including the gift card number and current balance for each card.

Here are a few tips to help avoid issues with your .CSV:

• Remove the header row. The first row should contain the first gift card number and balance, not the column titles.
  • Remove any zero balance gift cards ($0.00).
  • Make sure the amount column is in cents (multiply the dollar amount by 100) and doesn’t contain decimals.Make sure the file type is a .CSV.

If you've already got your ducks in a row, just reach out here to get the process started.  

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

We are in the process of switching over from another POS provider and are curious if we can use the same unloaded plastic gif cards on our Square POS. We have so many already that we don't really want to have to purchase additional plastic cards if we can just use these blank ones that we already have. 

Tags (1)
Message 22 of 26
Super Seller

I don’t think so. We have some leftover from when we changed over a few years ago. The good news is after you do change over it’s seem less with the system. 

As you may know you can (with Square supports help) load your outstanding cards from your old program. They may not swipe though. We usually have to manually enter the number. After a couple of years now we rarely receive them anymore. 

Message 23 of 26

Hello,

Is gift card migration still an option (asking as these replies are a few years old) or is there a way to upload them ourselves? thanks!

Message 24 of 26
Alumni

Hi @thepennybun - yes, gift card migration is still a thing, but you'll need CS to do it for you. Unfortunately you can't do it by yourself. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 25 of 26
Beta Member

I found an easier way to do this.  Here are the steps we followed:

1. Go to Gift Cards and Create a PROMO code - use a random word.  Set the discount level to 100%.
  2. Go to E-gift cards - Configure.  Click the LINK to your gift cards shown at the top of the page.
  3. Enter the amount of the first gift card you want to migrate for someone
  4. Enter the promo code you created in step 1 - Click APPLY directly to the right.
  5. Enter YOUR personal information, not the customers
  6. Check the box for "I want to send this to myself"
  7. Now check your personal email and you will have received a redemption code for that amount.  Copy it to your clipboard.
  8. Go to your CUSTOMERS section of Square and find the customer.
  9. At the top right click the 3 dots and choose "Add gift Card"
  10. Paste in the redemption code you received in step 7.

DONE - This customer now has a gift card applied to their account for the amount you specified.

IMPORTANT- REMEMBER TO REMOVE THAT PROMO CODE once you are done doing your migration.

ALSO IMPORTANT - If you have lots of gift cards this might take a while 🙂 But it's self service.

Message 26 of 26