x

How to set up sales tax?

Message 1 of 9
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How to set up sales tax?

You can set up sales tax in the Register app or from your online Dashboard.  You have set up one or more taxes and select applicable items. Check out: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5061-modify-your-tax-settings

We also set up tax rules for for-here vs to-go items. See: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5622-use-conditional-sales-tax-rules-with-the-square-app

8 REPLIES 8

You can set up sales tax in the Register app or from your online Dashboard.  You have set up one or more taxes and select applicable items. Check out: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5061-modify-your-tax-settings

We also set up tax rules for for-here vs to-go items. See: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5622-use-conditional-sales-tax-rules-with-the-square-app

Message 2 of 9

Need help to set this up right

Message 3 of 9
Alumni

You should find the relevant info in this thread!

Message 4 of 9

I'm not understanding how to do this at all? I'm trying to print a receipt in practice before I actually get a paying client and I can't find the receipt to print out then it had no sales tax on it and I couldn't figure out how to do that either? I'm not finding this very user friendly?

Message 5 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Klaceyjsmith! Welcome to the Community.

Sorry you're having trouble getting your taxes set up.

I merged your post with one of the existing threads I searched and found about how to set up your sales tax.

Check out @JustRelish 's answer above with links to our Support Center that give step by step instructions!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 9

@Klaceyjsmith  -- the conditional sales tax rules link provided by @JustRelish helped me some, but only with test purchases I entered through the Square app.  I also found that creating the tax rate and applying it to my items was easier to do through the app than the webpage.  In the app, go to Settings>Taxes>Create Tax (if you're adding one) or choose an existing one to edit/delete it.  To (de)select your taxable items, tap "Applicable Items" and you'll find buttons that say "Tax All Items" or "Exempt All," as well as individual line items which you can check and uncheck as needed. (This was helpful for me as I have 20 line items, of which only 1 is non-taxable. I clicked "Tax All" and then just unchecked the non-taxable line item.)

That said, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the online store program to calculate the correct sales tax amount for my test cart.  Although the set up section listed Virginia's base rate as 5%, the program's using a rate of 6%, and the actual rate for my locality is 5.3%.  I know VA has complicated sales tax rules between different rates based on type of merchandise and localities, but if I specify the correct rate through my online store's set up, it should override whatever automatic calculation the program normally does.

This excerpt from the Online Store Support topic "All About Taxes" left me scratching my head and saying, "What?" and "Why not?!"

"DISCLAIMER: Tax compliance is your responsibility. We do not guarantee the applicability or

accuracy of our tax tools. If you have any questions about your tax obligations, you should

consult a professional tax advisor.

Note: Tax settings from your Square account do not sync to your Online Store. You'll need to

set up taxes specifically for online purchases in Settings > Taxes."

Message 7 of 9

How can I have square take taxes out before I get money deposited in my account? Is there a way to accomplish this?

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @135792468,

I moved your post to an existing thread that has some articles from our Support Center on how to set up taxes. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9