x

I can't get my square reader to connect to my iphone

I am trying to connect a square reader to my iphone13.  I recently setup a new account with square and am using a card reader i have from a different business to connect.  We never actually setup this card reader as just as the swipe attachment was going away we really slowed down on POS sales so didn't need it.  now I do but cannot get it to pair with my phone. 

I have am able to go through most of the process ( i connect through the app, i get the flashing lights, the phone sees it) but when i get to the point of pairing, the phone askes my permission, I approve then it promptly tells me the paring failed.

I have tried rebooted the reader, i go in a forget bluetooth devices, i have uninstalled/reinstalled the Square app on my phone. 

I have read through other threads but don't find any more info to help continue to keep troubleshooting.  Please help, this has been an all day event so far, ugh.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @rheg12

You will be able to use the device with your new account. The readers aren't synced to a specific account, it depends on the account you're logged into the app with. 

How old is the card reader you're trying to set up? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Thanks for trying to help.  

I'm not sure how old the card reader is, I can't find any info on the unit or the box it came in.  It says Model 56 on it if that tells you anything. It is a square reader that you can insert card for chip or tap for contactless processing.  I would say it was the first generation of when square wanted to swap out the use of swiping cards. 

I go through the process, Open Square app ->settings ->hardware ->square readers->connect a reader, then i press the reader until it flashes orange and the phone detects it, then asks permission to pair.  I approve it , then it says failed to pair.

In troubleshooting I've rebooted the reader, gone into the phone and told it to forget devise, I tried unistalling/reinstalling the app, but still the same thing happens.

I was able to unable the "tap to pay on iphone" but can't figure out how to test it to see that it is working yet.

Message 3 of 6

Thank you for confirming, @rheg12.  And just to confirm is the software on your iPhone & Square Point of Sale app up to date? 

Kassi
Message 4 of 6

Yes, all updated.

Message 5 of 6

Good to hear, @rheg12. I appreciate you checking on that. 

It sounds like you've tried all of the troubleshooting steps I would normally suggest to get your reader connected to your phone. 

So the next step would be to get your reader replaced. If the reader is under 1 year old, then it would be covered by our warranty. You can start that process, here

If the reader is over 1 year old, then the replacement would have to be purchased through our Square Shop. There is an ongoing promotion right now for 20% off a new Contactless Chip reader. 

Kassi
Message 6 of 6