x

I cannot open cash drawer in new POS (APG VP320-BL1416)

I have a new Square Stand with iPad Air 2, Contactless + Chip Reader and Dock, Star TSP100 TSP143U printer, APG VP320-BL1416 Vasario Cash Drawer with MultiPRO 320 Interface, LS2208 Digital Handheld Barcode Scanner with Stand and USB Cable, and an APG Cash Drawer CD-009A Multi-PRO Interface Cable. All connectors are fully inserted. But nothing I do with Square Stand will make the drawer open. The printer works and I can open the drawer with the key. How do I debug this problem? Any likely failure points?

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

The issue appears to be that the APG VP320-BL1416 Vasario Cash Drawer isn't supported by Square software, although Amazon reviews say it is. So I returned the Vasario drawer to Amazon and ordered the Star Micronics cash drawer from Square. Worked perfectly. I suspect that the Vasario drawer was defective, but I have no way to know that for sure.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Admin

Hi @Russk, welcome to the seller community.

Sorry to hear that you've been encountering trouble with your cash drawer. It sounds like you've got all of the right hardware. I just had a closer look into this — if you haven't had a chance already, please try inserting the printer cable into the other ports on the Stand's USB hub. That should resolve the issue.

If this doesn't clear things up, it might be best to give us a call and a team member will be able to talk it through.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 13

Doesn't work. Phone support seems busy just now. But here's how I tested:

1. Unplug all USB cables in Stand hub
  2. Turn off printer
  3. Insert printer USB cable in port 1
  4. Turn on printer
  5. Press Test Cash Drawer button (which is already on screen)
  6. Repeat 2 - 5 with ports 2 and 3

Is this the sequence that should work, particularly step 5?

-Russ

Message 3 of 13
Admin

Hi @Russk,

Thanks for taking the time to give that a try — sorry that didn't resolve the issue. Yes, that sequence should have worked. It looks like you were able to get in touch with a team member and sort this out by the time I got back to your post.

Apologies for any frustration — hopefully their advice clears everything up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 13

What is the fix to this...experiencing same issue?

Message 5 of 13

Best Answer

The issue appears to be that the APG VP320-BL1416 Vasario Cash Drawer isn't supported by Square software, although Amazon reviews say it is. So I returned the Vasario drawer to Amazon and ordered the Star Micronics cash drawer from Square. Worked perfectly. I suspect that the Vasario drawer was defective, but I have no way to know that for sure.

Message 6 of 13

Good stuff...thanks!  I unhooked and unloaded everything and started from scratch, and it started working again.  Hopefully it was a one time glitch!

Message 7 of 13

Hola 

Message 8 of 13

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: APG cash drawer not recognized

I'm helping a friend with his Square POS setup. This is the hardware he has:

• Square Stand
  • Star TSP143IIIU Printer
  • APG VP320-BL1416 cash drawer

The cash drawer is not recognized in the Square app, so they have to open it manually. Are these pieces of hardware not compatible or what might be the problem?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 13
Admin

@CMarshall85 I added your post to this thread where another seller had a similiar issue. Were you able to try the troubleshooting steps shared here, or the cash drawer troubleshooting steps in our Support Center? (Sometimes it can help to unplug the cable between the hub and the cash drawer - turn it around - and then try replugging the cables.) 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 13
Beta Member

I had this problem too and the instructions say just to have at least one toggle on for the printer use. This is not the case. You need to have use for customer receipt toggled on. If you don’t want it to actually print a receipt keep the option on manual otherwise toggle that on too.

It seems like the printer will only send the drawer open signal to the cash drawer if it’s being used as a receipt printer, whether or not the receipt is actually printed.

Hope this helps others!!

Message 11 of 13

It sounds like you've done a great job with your setup so far.

To tackle the cash drawer problem, let's break it down step by step. Start by double-checking your connections to ensure everything is snug and secure.

Next, ensure your Square Stand and iPad software are up to date. Sometimes, software updates can resolve compatibility issues. Additionally, review your Square app settings to ensure the cash drawer is properly configured. If the issue persists, reach out to Square's customer support – they're experts in resolving these kinds of technical challenges and can guide you through the process.

Remember, every challenge you overcome adds to your expertise, and you're well on your way to a smoothly running POS system.

Message 12 of 13

Hey there, I totally feel your frustration with the cash drawer hiccup! Those technical glitches can be a puzzle.

First off, major kudos for checking all the connectors, you're on the right track. Since the printer works and the drawer opens manually, it seems like the connections are sound.

Now, let's dive into the Square Stand settings – maybe there's a tiny tweak needed there to sync everything up. If that doesn't do the trick, reach out to Square's support team. You're already leaps and bounds ahead with this setup, and solving this is just another skill you're mastering on your journey. Keep your positivity high and your curiosity thriving!

Message 13 of 13