x

I got a message in the Square app that Apple Pay will not work with Point of Sale. Why not?

I have a Contactless + Chip reader. Why doesn't Apple Pay work with Point of Sale?

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Update: I wanted to circle back with a bit more clarity as I was able to touch base with our Product Liaison team.

They are aware of this issue. It turns out that this particular message is generated by iOS — not Square Point of Sale. We are working to get this message rewritten to be more clear, though it's a slow process as we do not have control over it. Appreciate your continued patience!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

It just means that you can't use Apple Pay to pay for something at the same time you're using Square. It's an awkwardly written message. Your customer can use Apple Pay if you have the Contactless Reader.

Message 2 of 11
Admin

Hey @Eminence and @VanKalkerFarms — thanks for pointing this out. 💯

I'll be sure to share your experience with our Product Liaison team, who is always making improvements on our products — including messaging. 😉

Please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 3 of 11

I have square chip and contactless reader set up. When the reader is connected to the phone via bluetooth, when I go to POS I get a message that Apple Pay will not work with POS. So, how do I enter the amount to charge for Apple Pay so that it will work?

Message 4 of 11
Admin

Hello @encore_kids!

It's definitely confusing but rest assured you absolutely can use the reader to accept Apple Pay payments. 

I've moved your post here so you can see Tom's update and the other answers above. We're still working to make this clearer! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 11

So, how do I accept the Apple Pay? I  have to enter the amount through the POS page. What do I do next?

Message 6 of 11
Admin

@encore_kids To accept a contactless payment (like Apple Pay):

1. From the Point of Sale app enter the amount of the charge or select an item from your library.
  2. Tap Charge.
  3. One green light will appear on the reader when it's ready, and then your customer should hold their phone over the reader to pay. 
  4. Four green lights and a notification sound will indicate the payment has been completed (you should see the receipt screen).
  5. If needed, you can confirm that a payment has been completed from Transactions section of the app.

There is also a video in our Support Center that shows how to accept a contactless (NFC) payment with the app which might be helpful too! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 11
Admin

Best Answer

Update: I wanted to circle back with a bit more clarity as I was able to touch base with our Product Liaison team.

They are aware of this issue. It turns out that this particular message is generated by iOS — not Square Point of Sale. We are working to get this message rewritten to be more clear, though it's a slow process as we do not have control over it. Appreciate your continued patience!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 8 of 11

Thank you!

Message 9 of 11

I don't have a contactless reader.  Can I accept Apple Pay and Google Pay by entering the card number manually?

Message 10 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @AnnWFoxPoint,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you don't have a card reader, you can accept cards by entering card details manually. Apple Pay and Google Pay are digital versions of a physical card, that can be presented in person via a smartphone or watch, for example. If someone were to make a payment with you, they'd use the physical card details, rather than Apple or Google Pay. 

Message 11 of 11