x

I use Square Risk Manager - Many Fraudulent Charges have Been Blocked. Now What?

I recently completed my Square Risk Manager 90 day trial and started the service. The same "criminal" has attempted 20 times to make purchases through my online store. Fortunately, the Risk Manager (with all the rules set up), has been able to block and decline those transactions. I'm glad that the incidents are only $.06 each, but it's also ridiculous that this is happening. I can't find a way (through searching the forum topics or otherwise) to get this resolved and the 'criminals' dealt with.

What can I do??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Just to be clear @Picklepeach, are you blocking the transactions or refunding them? Take a look at this FAQ page, as you may find your answer within it. If not, feel free to circle back. 

🥒🍑

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 6

Hi Isabelle, 

Thanks for the reply! Through Square, I am using the “Risk Manager” service, with rules set up. It appears that when the rules have been met (ie charges with billing and shipping addresses not the same, etc.), the transactions have been declined automatically and immediately. Those rejected transactions are found in the “blocked” area of my account. I am not refunding them as the transactions are blocked. It’s  the same perpetrator as I can see some common info. used via my businesses’ website reports. I’m a small business and don’t do a lot of volume biz through my website, so this sticks out like a sore thumb.

Let me know if there’s a process to reporting this. I couldn’t find any options by searching.

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hi @Picklepeach! Jumping in here for Isabelle. She did the leg work and checked with our Risk Management team, so I'm here to relay the message. There's nothing you need to do on your end as far as reporting it to our team goes. I know it probably looks messy on your end, but nothing you need to do.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 6

I am having the same issue.  A fraudster got us for $140 once, now they keep trying to process new orders every few days.  They try 7-10 different credit cards each time.  Risk manager blocks the transaction, but how can I see what they were trying to order, or the details on the orders that are declining so I can report this to the authorities?

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

This sounds like a good question for our Risk team, @WalkingCrab 🦀  

They can take a look at your account with you to help a shine light here, as they are able look at your account alongside you in order to pinpoint what's going on here. Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6