x

I would like to connect a bar code to each of my customers

I recently opened a computer repair shop with my husband. We would like to be as efficient as we can as we have always ran our business out of our home. We now have a store front.  Is there a way we can add a bar code to each of our customers? As each customer comes in are we able to track them with a bar code? Any help is appreciated 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller Alumni

It can be done but not very easily.  You have to create the barcode based on a searchable field in customer management.  Only First, last name, email address, and company are searchable.  I use the Bluetooth socket scanner to test this out so I don't know how the USB scanners will work.  Note:  you can't use the scanner to scan items because you will have to reprogram it as a keyboard input interface.  With that said if you use it to scan items, you will have to click the search bar on the library screen to scan in the UPC to search for the item...

So with a Dymo Labelwriter 450 I was able to use its software to create a barcode with a name.  Once created and the scanner reset to factory settings and repaired to the iPad I was able to click on customer search field and scan the barcode.  This narrowed the list down to the customers last name and I was able to select it from there.

Again this is not ideal but the only way to do it at this time.

Square has added a reference ID to the customer but currently, this is not searchable.  If this becomes searchable this would make this a bit easier.

Message 2 of 2