x

If I cancel an invoice that I have collected a deposit on, will it refund the deposit?

I have collected a deposit for a job and delivered half of the service.  I want to just make the bill be for the deposit now and cancel the remaining balance due.  If I cancel an invoice that I have collected a deposit on, will it refund the deposit, or just cancel the remaining balance?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @CEOMarcusDavis and @VanKalkerFarms - Happy to clarify here. When you cancel an Invoice, the deposit isn't automatically refunded, but you can manually refund the payment as you would with any other transaction.

Let us know if you have any followup questions or need further clarification 🙂

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

That's a good question.  I have not tried this so I can't say.  @katieand what will happen if the invoice is canceled after a deposit is made?  the option shows up but I don't want to click it to find out :-).

Message 2 of 10

I didn't want to click to find out either. lol.  Luckily, my client chose to go ahead and pay since I've asked the question, but I would still like to know for future reference.

Message 3 of 10
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @CEOMarcusDavis and @VanKalkerFarms - Happy to clarify here. When you cancel an Invoice, the deposit isn't automatically refunded, but you can manually refund the payment as you would with any other transaction.

Let us know if you have any followup questions or need further clarification 🙂

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 10

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Cancelling partially paid invoices - how does that impact customer?

Looking for some insight into the following issue - we accept custom orders from our clients (we're a retail store). We have been creating invoices for the items and requesting deposits for 50% of the invoice total. Because Square will not allow us to charge a card on file when the balance is due (our customers preference), we have been creating custom amounts in the POS to collect the funds. Now, we have a significant number of partially paid invoices we'd like to cancel since it looks like we're owed a lot of money. I am concerned about what will happen when we cancel a partially paid invoice? Will it refund the initial amount paid? Will it inform the customer (they've paid and already received their product, so they will be confused)? It would be awesome if Square allowed payment via cards on file for partially paid invoices, but since they don't, this has been our best work around.  

Message 5 of 10
Super Seller

Message 6 of 10

I am having the same situation happen repeatedly. Did you ever find a solution to dealing with that?

Message 7 of 10

Ok, so to be clear .. the partial amount paid we will keep after it’s already been deposited . The only way it would “take the money back” for the deposit paid is if we chose that option manually after. Other than that the second part of the invoice payment will be the only payment canceled ?

Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Crisromero21 and welcome to the community!

You are correct, a deposit would need to be refunded manually. 

Thank you ad hope you enjoy being part of the conversation!

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 10
Beta Member

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "How to cancel remaining balance after deposit has been paid" The author has been notified via email.

Often a customer will cancel leaving me to pay for travel expenses. I've implemented a 25% deposit to guard against that. How do I finalize the invoice with only the deposit paid without a remaining balance showing for that client? 

Message 10 of 10