x

If we use a POS that is not linked to Square, can we still use the gift cards?

I own a small restaurant with one location. We are looking at using Square gift cards but we don't use Square as our POS, only as a credit card processing system. My question is, if we use a POS that is not linked to Square, can we still use the gift cards or will that cause issues?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

While you may not be using square as your pos you technically are just because you are using the square apps to process the credit card. 

So so yes you could use square as your gift card provider as all that you need to load, monitor, swipe, and reuse are built into the app that you are using to process the credit cards. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

While you may not be using square as your pos you technically are just because you are using the square apps to process the credit card. 

So so yes you could use square as your gift card provider as all that you need to load, monitor, swipe, and reuse are built into the app that you are using to process the credit cards. 

Message 2 of 6

hi

i have been using square for testing and looking to go live however in New Zealand square do not yet offer the payment gateway. i was hoping till they do i could use their gift cards on the system however my menu does not show gift cards on the drop down menu.  where exactly would you expect to see any reference towards gift cards on the menu/dashboard? i have contacted stripe to ask this question twice but they just tell me there is no payment provider but do not tell me if i can use the gift cards.

thanks 

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hey @rickgolf, thanks for bringing this up. At this time, gift cards are only available in the US and Canada. While we are working to offer this feature to more markets and would love to offer more in New Zealand, we don't have a specific timeline available.

For now, you might consider setting up with a third party gift card service in New Zealand, and using the "Other" tender option in the Point of Sale app to record the sale.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit more — please do keep in touch for updates!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 6

hi tom, i understand gift cards are now available in australia which is great news.  we are considering opening an office in australia for our golf system and are keen to offer clubs square pos. can you please clarify - what requirements are there for registering with square in australia so i can order a card reader etc. if a club in australia does not want to immediatley switch to square pos for payment can you top up a gift card manually by charging a card via say eftpos $100 and then adding that value to the loyalty card? thanks

Message 5 of 6

Hey @rickgolf

Currently you're posting in the United States Seller Community. Tom and myself wouldn't be able to give you an accurate answer, but I recommend calling our Sales Team in Australia. They should be able to chat with you over the phone and answer any questions you have. 

Message 6 of 6