x

Import Customer names and email

Is there a way to import a .csv file of customers and email addresses into the Square database?

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there. 

You can absolutely import Customer names and emails. 

To import your Customer List:

# Visit the "Customers page":https://squareup.com/dashboard/customers/list, click *Import* at the top-right corner. *Be sure you’re importing a CSV file.* XLS or other file formats will not import successfully.
# Click *Import*.
# Drag and drop your customer CSV file into the upload field or click "select it from your computer" to upload the file.
# Click Continue.
# Add this customer CSV file to an existing customer group or create a new group.# To add customers to an existing customer group, click the drop-down menu and select a group from the list.

# To create a new customer group, enter a group name and select "create new" in the drop-down field.
# Click Continue.
# Confirm that your customers’ information are in the correct columns. If there are errors, click the drop-down menu to the right of the field and select the correct field.# Note: Use the Notes attribute to keep all the information that doesn’t align with our predefined fields.

# Click Import to move this group to your Customer Directory.

Note: You can export your CSV from other email marketing tools, such as MailChimp or ConstantContact, and upload the file to your CustomerDirectory.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

I too am having difficulty in importing customers into Square.  I have my contacts on my MAC which I know Square doesn't support vCard.  I am able to transfer it into a CSV file but when I attempt to import it I keep getting "Wrong number of Fields". I have tried and tried and can't figure out why it won't work.  I was able to do one batch as I have it in a group and it worked find.  I don't want to have to retype all my contacts.  I have cleared my Cache as well.  Please help....

Message 22 of 26

Hello @joanncooper and welcome to the Seller Community 👋

In order to succeed in importing customers or contacts into Square, you will have to make sure that you are using our template and adding your date to that template. I know this isn't as convenient for you as you have them in vCard format. In order to obtain the template, you will have to export your current customer. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 26

JJ, Please know that I have converted my V card customer list into a CSV. I have use the form/template that’s provided but I keep getting the same error. I wish someone would get on the phone with me and look at my computer to make sure that everything is correct. I offered to send my file for some review to make sure that it is ok. I’m very frustrated at this point because I’m getting no answers I’m just having everyone tell me the same thing, just like you did. I’m doing everything I think is correct. 

Message 24 of 26

Is there a way to export current customers/re-import after editing a field (in my case a new custom field), and not create duplicates? I just tested this with an exact match to a current customer's email, and got a duplicate contact that had to be merged. 

Message 25 of 26

Hello, @leswvv 

My understanding is that as long as you export modify one field and upload the file should overwrite and not duplicate the entry. If this isn't the case I recommend reaching out to our Support Team so they can take a closer look at the situation and troubleshoot or escalate this if need be. 

As a reminder, our team can be reached at 855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. If you call outside of these hours, you will be required to enter your Customer Code to validate your account.

You can also get in touch with our Messaging and Email Support Teams here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 26