x

Importing cvs without $ signs in columns

Hello All,

I can import sales data into an excel spreadsheet, however the columns with gross sales, net sales and tax have a "$" sign in fornt of the amounts and I cannot get these columns to give me a total.

Can anyone explain how to do this, thanks a lot

Olav @ Zaagmolen

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

That's interresting. How exactly are you trying to total those columns? If you are trying to SUM a filtered column, it might get screwy. If that's the case, try =SUBTOTAL(9,A:A) instead of =SUM(A:A)... Where A:A is the column that you're trying to sum. 

You should be able to get a total w/ the $ sign... But you can also remove them by highlighting the column and changing the number format (which is probably set to Currency). Go to More Number Formats, then change it to custom, and where it says "Type" put in 0.00

That will remove the $ signs. 

Message 2 of 3

Hello Locavore, thanks for your help. I am not 100% familiar with Excel ( or Numbers for that matter) so I hope you will have some patience. When i export a .csv file from square and I open it (in excel 14.0.0 for Mac) all the amounts have a dollar sign in front of them and the cells are formatted "general". When i try to change the cells to numbers nothing changes. The dollar signs will not go away.

I have found a solution. Importing the file into an open spreadsheet will allow me to change the $ notation to a € notation and that does the trick. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Still very happy with my Square setup, using my old iPad 2 and a €120 receipt printer works wonders for our little restaurant. Using the .csv files will be great to simplify my sales tax records and general bookkeeping.

Message 3 of 3