x
Super Seller

Is Square Marketing worth it? YES!

Hello all! I just wanted to pass along my success story with Square Marketing!

I know with small businesses, you're always watching how much money seems to go out the door versus how much comes in. And any additional expense you can avoid you want to, right?

Of course! That's the name of the game!

But I want to remind you of the old adage "You have to spend money to make money."

I started with Square Marketing back in 2015. Back then, I was paying something like $15/month to access the marketing emails. It wasn't doing much for me; my email blasts were doing relatively okay, but I was questioning the whole money out the door thing a lot. In January 2016, Square introduced the automated email campaigns. The one that caught my eye was the "We Miss You!" campaign. If a customer's card/email/phone number isn't seen in 7 weeks, Square automatically sends out this email. I decided to put a 10% discount with mine just to see what would happen.

Today, I'm paying $45/month for access to Marketing. To make the math easy, let's assume I've paid $45/month since January 2016. This means I have spent $1575 to have access to Marketing. In that same time, the We Miss You! campaign alone has brought in $7238 in Attributable Sales. Without doing anything except for the intital 5 minutes almost three years ago, Marketing has brought in over $5600 in additional sales that I would have lost! And that is only the one campaign!

So those of you who are wondering if it's worth doing more than just using Square for card processing, my only answer is a definite YES!!!

Thank you Square for allowing me to grow my business!

(Edited to add: Obviously this was successful for me, but you know your own business. What worked for me may not work for your biz nor can I guarantee it will work for you. But with the potential of numbers like that....)

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

So awesome @ryanwanner! Glad that it's working for you and that you've been getting good returns on it!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

So awesome @ryanwanner! Glad that it's working for you and that you've been getting good returns on it!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 13

Hi I am new to square. I was wondering the difference between square marketing emails and weebly website marketing emails. Which one is better? Also, if I go with weebly emails can I import the emails I generate in person on the square app or if I go with the square app can I import the emails from my website? I’m not quite sure how it works. Thanks!

Message 3 of 13
Admin

Hey @alf23162! Welcome, welcome!

Weebly's marketing is super integrated into Weebly, so it can pull customer information automatically from your store and site. Weebly marketing also has an import feature, so you can export emails from Square and import them into Weebly. Also, if you have contact forms on your Online Store, those can also be imported.

Now as for Square Marketing, I chose to move your post to this thread so you can see what our other sellers have to say. You can also find more information on this Support Center article.

Feel free to tag either @ryanwanner or @pessosices for any additional insight on Square Marketing. I'm sure they'd be happy to share! 🙂

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 13

Thank you so much, that’s really helpful!! 

Message 5 of 13
Super Seller

Thanks for the great info here. I just started with Square Loyalty and my next step is adding Square Marketing. One question just came up and I'm hoping there's an answer...

The other email program that I use now gives me the option to see how many times a singular person opened a marketing email they received from me. Does Square Marketing allowing me to see this level of engagement? 

Message 6 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi @HC_Charlie! Great question. I believe you can only view the open rates for a general audience and not for a specific customer, but I am going to check with the Marketing team to be sure. This can take a few hours before I hear back (It's still pretty early for our West Coast folks), but I will update this post as soon as I have confirmation on this. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 13
Super Seller

@AshleyK @HC_Charlie  Yes you can!

When you send an email marketing message, you get a screen with a breakdown of the emails sent: (this is from the marketing email I sent yesterday. I LOVE the engagement levels!)

email.jpg

Clicking on each one of those email types (delivered, bounced, etc) takes you to a list of every customer in that category. Clicking on that customer brings up the customer info screen, and you can view all activity (transactions, emails, etc). This can be exported as a CSV as well.

Square doesn't give you a report at a level of "this customer received and open this number of marketing emails" but this gets you pretty close.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 8 of 13

@ryanwanner in with the save!! Thank you so much!!

AshleyK
Message 9 of 13

Does anyone know how exactly are the ATTRIBUTABLE SALES being tracked? In review of a recent campaign of ours, the attributable sales have no correlation to the sale of the item that was being advertised. There's no clear way to see how that number is being calculated. If anyone has any advise, that would be really helpful!

Message 10 of 13
Super Seller

@nsbcI'm not entirely certain, but I believe attributable sales are simply sales made from people who saw your campaign. It doesn't matter what they're buying, just that they interacted with the campaign and came in to purchase something after.

@AshleyK, @nika , any insight on this?

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 11 of 13

Hi @nsbc - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I'm going to consult with the Square Marketing Team on this one to get the best answer for you. I'll reach back out to you here once I gather more info!

I was able to find these definitions in this article from our Support Center in the meantime: 

Attributable transactions: The number of transactions where the promotion incentive was triggered.

Attributable sales: The total amount of sales from transactions where the promotion incentive was triggered.

Violet
Message 12 of 13

Hi there again, @nsbc 👋 Thank you for your patience while I consulted with the Square Marketing Team.

They have let me know that the Artibutable Sales metric is not related to the specific item. If the buyer received the email and they came in to make a purchase, this will add to the count. 

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions 🙂

Violet
Message 13 of 13