x
Beta Member

Is a Kitchen printer necessary for online orders?

We do not use Square Restaurant, just basic Square POS.  Do we have to use a kitchen printer for food orders or is there a way to direct the order to print on the receipt printer instead?  Since we do not have a website (we do, but it's not completely developed yet), we want to embed the Square URL on our social media page.  Further, if we cannot print an online order to the receipt printer, is there some other way to be notified when an online order is placed?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller Alumni

You absolutely can use a standard receipt printer for online order tickets - that’s what we do and it works perfectly!

Good luck with setting everything up and let us know if you have any more questions!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

Okay, and not to be dense, but does it have to be a dedicated printer or can the same receipt printer for credit card receipts, etc., be designated?

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

Yup, you can use the same printer for everything! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 4 of 9
Beta Member

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

Message 5 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Let us know if anything else comes up. @TwistedRail

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

I have been trying to get the online store up and running and this is the last piece I need to do. I have the onscreen popup working that shows we have a new order. I would also like it to print the order when it is received. I haven't been able to set this up correctly. And Square support has not been very helpful. Just this morning I was told that to do this I needed to add a second physical printer. Maybe someone here might be able to help me with my settings. I have one physical printer connected to my stand. It is setup to only print receipts when a customer requests one or when CC charge are over the limit. So that print station setup has Receipts, Cash draw enabled. The other print station is enabled and has order tickets turned on. I also have the print orders enable.

Message 7 of 9

Hello. Just wondering if you were able to print online orders to a regular receipt printer after all. We are getting ready to launch our Square online ordering on our food truck and I need to purchase the correct printer. We also use the Square stand with our Ipad. Can a regular receipt printer be connected to the USB port on the square stand? Or would I need to get a bluetooth model?  Thank you!

Message 8 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @MiniDonutDepot 

@You can absolutely print Online Orders to a regular thermal receipt printer! 

And yes, a USB one connected to a square stand will work just fine for that too! 

Best of luck with the Online launch and let us know if you run into any issues and we’ll be happy to help! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 9 of 9