x

Star TSP-100 receipt printer compatible with square stand?

Is the star Micronics TSP100 compatible with the iPad square system? Not the 143 but the 100.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Yep! And in fact, they're one and the same; TSP143III is the model number of the TSP 100 (which is admittedly pretty confusing.) For example, you can see the printer has TSP100 printed on it physically, but it's technically the 'STAR MICRONICS TSP143IIILAN.'

Hope that helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Square

Best Answer

Yep! And in fact, they're one and the same; TSP143III is the model number of the TSP 100 (which is admittedly pretty confusing.) For example, you can see the printer has TSP100 printed on it physically, but it's technically the 'STAR MICRONICS TSP143IIILAN.'

Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 25
Super Seller

I was always confused about that weird naming scheme.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Message 3 of 25

Printer companies issues a "series" much like a car model. Jeep a different vehicles (a car series) and different models within that series. Jeep Cherokee is a car series and they have different models within the Jeep Cherokee family. TSP100 is of of Star's printer series (like a car model) and TSP143... is the specific model. TSP143ii are current USB models and TSP143iii are the current LAN and Bluetooth models. Hope that helps. 🙂 

[Personal Information Redacted]

Message 4 of 25

Can ayone tell me if you can connect two printers to Square as well as a bank POS system? I have a coffee shop in Canada and we are looking at installing Square next month but would like to have a printer connected wirelessly to our kitchen as well as a receipt printer at our front counter. In addition to that I also need to have a bank pin pad and printer connected as Square does not accept debit in Canada (been waiting for that for a long time Square people!). Thanks.

Message 5 of 25

Regarding the printers, several of our Square customers have had to return their TSP100iii bluetooth printers due to compatibility issues. Star's TSP654II Bluetooth model is the best choice. They make a model specifically designed for either iOS or Windows/Android systems. Here is a link with information and the specific model numbers for each: http://www.posshopper.com/star-tsp654ii-bti-thermal-receipt-printer.html

We would be happy to check availability in Canada to avoid customs/taxes.

Message 6 of 25

Thanks for your offer to look into this and the possibility of finding it in Canada. Now I'm thinking a Bluetooth printer wouldn't be so bad. I assume I could get a second one at some point to work in our kitchen (no grease or anything like that). Wouldn't mind help on finding out how much the printer is, cost to ship, etc. Would yo mind? Thanks. John

Message 7 of 25

If the second printer in the kitchen is a distance away from the iPad, I wouldn't recommend a bluetooth device. BlueTooth printers work best when next to the iPad.

Message 8 of 25

The two locations for the printers would be about 20 feet apart. Is that still too far?

Message 9 of 25

using Bluetooth will it work with square on samsung tablet?

Message 10 of 25
Admin

Great question @feedbucket! Bluetooth printers aren't supported with Android tablets yet I'm afraid. Here's a list of printers that are supported with Android devices.

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 11 of 25

I have the TSP1001 and it shows the model 143IIU that connects to USB but it will not turn on when connected to my USB hub on the Square stand. It uses not the power cable and the USB to turn it on. It will not turn on. 

Message 12 of 25

I"m confused by your question. Star TSP100 printers do require a power cable. The are NOT powered by the USB cable.

Message 13 of 25

I just got a used TSP100 printer and a cash box.  I am having a hard time getting them connected to my laptop.  Are they compatible with Windows 7 or 10?  I would like to use them with my square

Message 14 of 25

We found that you had to hard wire the Cashbox/Printer with an ethernet cable before the Bluetooth would work. 

We use it with our Ipad pro as a register and it works well, I have never tried it with a laptop. 

hope you get the answers you need. 

Hannah

Message 15 of 25
Admin

Hello @hhgheather! At this time there isn't a way to connect a USB receipt printer (and cash drawer) to a laptop to print receipts. The printer you ordered will work with the Square Stand, Square Register or you can connect it to an Android tablet.

As mentioned by @WindblownFibers you can also connect a device (Android tablet/iPhone/iPad) to a receipt printer via ethernet. A list of compatible hardware by device is available on our Support Center. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 16 of 25

This entirely depends on your type of setup and the type of cash drawer purchased. Our website should provide some clarity on the different Square setups and hardware for each type.

http://www.posshopper.com/square-hardware-setup-squareup-pos-register.html

For example:

"Square Register systems using iPads" required Printer Driven Cash Drawers. (Cash drawers connected to your printer.

"Square Stand" systems require USB Cash Drawers.

Select the type of system you are using. The next page will provid information on your system type and instructions on how to set it up.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Message 17 of 25
Super Seller

@PSkevin79, some of the terminology on that site is confusing.  Square Register is what Square POS used to be called and now there is a device called Square Register so that is part of the problem.  Square Stands can use ethernet printers too which I think is what the second paragraph is talking about with LAN and USB printers are not required.

Message 18 of 25

Thank you. I will ask our team to research and update our website and links, as well as provide training for myself and my team.

Message 19 of 25

We have two locations. Our first one (hospital) has been using Square with a Star Micronics TSP100 (aka TSP143iiU) for 18 months without issue. We wanted to get our second location (Rossland) up and running today (May 1) with the exact same equipment but I get a message saying USB device not detected. On the Square site I looked at the printers recommended but both are LAN - needed an ethernet cable hookup yet my Square stand has the USB box. I need a printer asap!!! What can I do? Thanks.

Message 20 of 25

Square Stands do use a USB printer, as used at your other location. The non-stand setup uses Ethernet printers. I believe your issue is with the printer or the stand.

Message 21 of 25