x

Is a chip card reader necessary?

Is contactless chip reader helpful? Necessary? My original square did accept my test payment using my chip credit card. Thx 4 your time and help

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I 100% recommend it.  for both a security and liability perspective.  If you don't use a chip reader on a chip card and that customer either disputes it or it is a stolen card you automatically lose the challenge.  of course it depends on how many transactions you are doing and your risk, but it is not a large investment for peace of mind that at least that part of your business is covered.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Contactless-and-Chip-Reader/dp/B01BSVGBKM

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

I 100% recommend it.  for both a security and liability perspective.  If you don't use a chip reader on a chip card and that customer either disputes it or it is a stolen card you automatically lose the challenge.  of course it depends on how many transactions you are doing and your risk, but it is not a large investment for peace of mind that at least that part of your business is covered.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Contactless-and-Chip-Reader/dp/B01BSVGBKM

Message 2 of 3

It is necessary but not enough.

For instance,  a customer inserts chip card into Square Chip reader and nothing happens. The customer than swipes and the charge goes through. Later, the customer disputes the charge- the customer will automatically win the dispute and the payment will 100% of the time be returned to the customer!!!! How do I know this?? It happened to me last week.  I tried to contact customer but unsuccessful. Next contacted VISA who said it was the bank's decision. Contacted bank who said it was Square's decision. Square says "if you would have attempted to insert the chipped card 3 times and then swiped. you would've won the dispute"

Why doesn't Square inform it's customers  of this practice?!!!!!!!! They send me all kinds of emails requesting me to purchase more products from them but fail to inform me of the "3 time insert Chipcard Rule" . Has this happened to anyone else?

Message 3 of 3