x
Beta Member

Is it not possible to give a member of staff access to the inventory, but not allow them to edit ite

Hi there,

Hope you are well.

Is it not possible to give a member of staff access to the inventory, but not allow them to edit items? Hope that makes sense. As a director, I'd like to be the only one who can add, edit or delete items, but I'd like my staff to be able to update the inventory.

Hope there's a way and many thanks!

Message 1 of 10
Report Inappropriate Content
9 REPLIES 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @skafte, good question!

I had a quick look at this for you on my own account. If you are using Team Permissions, you can grant your employees access to your item inventory. However, if you grant them access, this will also allow them to view, edit, create and delete items, modifiers, and discounts. There is no way to allow them to view your items while also limiting their ability to edit your items. This would be considered a feature request.

I think it's a great idea though, and I can definitely see why it would be a useful feature to have! I'll pass your feedback over to our team for them to take into consideration.

Message 2 of 10
Beta Member

Great! Thanks @k_atie! Hope to see this improvement! 👍 Cheers!

By the way, is there anywhere to keep track of feature requests and/or planned improvements? Like an open roadmap similar to what Monzo has got here?: https://trello.com/b/FNEatI34 – I sometimes can't help but feel like I make a lot of feature requests / suggestions, but none of them actually taken on board. Sorry to be so frank, but I haven't ever seen a feature request come to fruition and it would be reassuring to know that they aren't forgotten about. Hope you understand.

Message 3 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @skafte, thank you for your reply. We don't have anything like what Monzo has above, but you can submit Feature Requests right here on the Seller Community. These get fed straight to our product team for visibility. Once a new feature or product is released, we announce it on the Community to make sure all of our sellers can see it. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

Hi there @k_atie,

Hope you are well.

Any news on this by any chance? -we desperately need to be able to allow our managers to manage inventory, but we still cannot risk giving them the ability to edit, create and delete items, modifiers, and discounts as this has caused too many accounting problems in the past.

If it's not on the way already, would you then be so kind and try and push it down the pipeline?

Hope you can help and many thanks!

Jonas

Message 5 of 10
Beta Member

Hi there @k_atie,

Any news on this?

It's become a critical problem for us that we cannot ask our managers to count stock and correct stock numbers within Square without also being able to edit products (which has caused problems for us in the past where the wrong VAT amounts had been added, which caused a real headache when we had to do our accounts).

If Square isn't going to provide a solution to this problem pretty soon, then we have no choice but to find an alternative to using Square with better stock management capabilities. Hope that won't end up needing to be the case though!

Many thanks!

Message 6 of 10
Admin

Hi @skafte - no updates here yet, I'm afraid! 

I appreciate your concern, and I understand the importance of this feature for your business. 

The inventory section falls within Edit Item - which has its own permission set. While we can continue to raise this request I can't guarantee that inventory will get its own permission set. 

We would hate to see you have to leave, we really value your input here in the Community. 

One suggestion is to grant your staff the Edit Item permission and inform them that they can contact our support team if they need assistance or are uncertain when updating inventory. This way, we can work together to minimize the risk of mistakes.

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 7 of 10
Beta Member

Thanks @Breffni,

I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm afraid that Square won't really be able to help us eliminate the risks in this regard as they are mainly:

1. That members of staff create new items with the wrong VAT percentages. This has happened in the past and caused us a great deal of problems when we had to do our end-of-year accounts.

2. That members of staff create new products in a fashion that doesn't align with the rest of our catalog, ie. a new product instead of a variation of an existing product.

Overall our conclusion is that we cannot allow anyone else but ourselves (me and my partner who owns the business) to add/edit/remove items from the inventory.

I find it very hard to see that Square can help us avoid these things from happening through your customer support as these errors aren't seen as errors before they have already happened; when we discover them ourselves + these things are concerning specifically how we use the Square system and not general usage of the system as such. Hope that makes sense. For example, your customer support team wouldn't be able to say what VAT percentage item X should have or whether item Y should be a variation or a product of its own.

We are now going to look for an alternative to Square as this has become too critical of an issue to us and it basically means that the inventory part of Square is completely useless to us as our managers can't keep the numbers up to date at all.

Bye, bye Square! -it was nice to know you! 👋

Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

Hi there @Breffni,

Any chance you have any news about this?

It's way overdue if you ask me...

Message 9 of 10
Beta Member

Hello, anyone there? @Breffni@k_atie

Message 10 of 10