x

Label Printing: Scan and Print Barcode Labels

Beta Member

Label Printing: Scan and Print Barcode Labels

We are a retailer that has over 6,000 SKUs. We have asked for some time if there is an option that can be incorporated into the POS that would allow for us to "Scan and Print". With tons of new items coming in every week, we would love a better option to print out shelf labels, with the easiest option being to scan the new item and print immediately. 

THANKS! 

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can Square generate SKU numbers?

Hello @GlacierLandings, welcome to the Seller Community! 

This is a great question I'm sure other businesses have. While Square doesn't have a way to auto generate SKU's Shopventory does! Once your products are entered into Shopventory you can run a task where the software will generate a SKU for any item without an assigned SKU. 

I hope this helps! 

103 Comments

pecanmanor-us, did you need to use a computer to print the labels to Dymo, or could you print them directly from the app?

Square Community Moderator

Hey @grhome

With Square Retail, you can print labels from a computer through your Square Dashboard. 

This article can walk you through it:

Create and Print Bar Code Labels with Square for Retail

Hi Pecan-may I ask what kind of labels you use? I was hoping to find a Dymo label that I could print then tag the item directly, however Dymo says they only sell adhesive labels. The only option with those would be to stick on a secondary blank label.

Thanks!

After switching from Quickbooks POS to Square, I noticed I have to manually enter SKU's for each new item and item variant. Our imported inventory was extensive and I don't remember what numbers are already in use.  Quickbooks just assigned the next availalble number, now it's quite time consuming doing it myself.  Is there an autogenerate funcition I'm missing?  Does anyone know if an additional system like Shopventory creates SKUs?

Hello @GlacierLandings, welcome to the Seller Community! 

This is a great question I'm sure other businesses have. While Square doesn't have a way to auto generate SKU's Shopventory does! Once your products are entered into Shopventory you can run a task where the software will generate a SKU for any item without an assigned SKU. 

I hope this helps! 

@EJ

Yes, but Square Retail cost a lot more than Square POS. There are also several things that Square Retail does not do that is available with Square POS. 

We have processed over $4 million in sales and are going to have to leave Square. Barcoding should be a given in a POS and out of stock alerts as well. 

We recently starting using Square POS for our pop-up sales and have since switched from Stripe to Square as our main payment gateway for our WooCommerce site.

I would like to generate barcodes to attach directly to products or to packaging at the request of a retailer who would like to sell our products and I'm curious is this is possible using Square?

Appreciate the help.

Fifth & Vermouth Team

Admin

👋Hi @Worban, welcome to the seller community!

Yes—you can with Square for Retail which you can try free for 30 days. For step-by-steps, have a look at this article: Create and Print Bar Code Labels with Square for Retail.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. Please don't hesitate to let me know if any other questions come up.

Does the cash drawer connect to the software to automatically open and give the change amount as does a regular register? 

Square Community Moderator

Hi @jackjohn777

Yes! So long as you connect your Cash Drawer is compatible and connected properly, it should open automatically after a sale.