x

Is the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 phone compatible with a Square reader?

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 phone to replace my Note 2 (!) phone which would no longer accept upgrades from Square. There is no earphone jack on the new phone so what card reader can I use? The Note 10 phone is not on the compatibilty list for either type of card reader. Will there be a new card reader available for this phone?

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @VentanaNana and welcome to the Community!

Hmm I just checked our Compatibility page and you're correct- it doesn't show the Note 10 on there yet. 

Because it doesn't have a headphone jack, you'd need to use the Contactless + Chip reader that connects via bluetooth. The only problem is that if it's not listed on the Compatibility page, there's no guarantee it's going to work with that device because it hasn't been tested yet.

We're always trying to make more devices compatible but for now, you may have to use a different compatible device with one of our readers.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Best Answer

Hi @VentanaNana and welcome to the Community!

Hmm I just checked our Compatibility page and you're correct- it doesn't show the Note 10 on there yet. 

Because it doesn't have a headphone jack, you'd need to use the Contactless + Chip reader that connects via bluetooth. The only problem is that if it's not listed on the Compatibility page, there's no guarantee it's going to work with that device because it hasn't been tested yet.

We're always trying to make more devices compatible but for now, you may have to use a different compatible device with one of our readers.

Ashley C
Message 2 of 30

VentanaNana,

I can confirm the Samsung Note 10 plus works well with the Square Reader for contactless and chip!

Message 3 of 30

What can be done to make the Samsung Galaxy 10 Note compatible with the square swipe or chip reader? I have to enter all sales manually and that cost extra money!

Message 4 of 30
Admin

@antiquityacres I'm very sorry for the frustration. The Samsung Galaxy Note 10 hasn't been added to our Device Compatibility website which means the  hasn't been tested with any of the Square readers and we can't guarantee it will work.

In this thread another seller mentioned the Contactless and Chip Card reader has worked with their Note 10 plus. But again, until it's listed in the Device Compatibility site we can't say for certain that you won't have trouble using a reader this phone.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 30

I had the same problem and am so upset with Samsung for making the Note 10 without the microphone port. Buy a Dongle from the Samsung accessories (online, $14.99, is how I did it, but maybe it's available in some stores?). I would stick with the Samsung brand. This has one end that plugs into the charging port and the other end has a microphone port. Not as convenient as the direct plug-in as it dangles from the bottom of the phone, but it solved our problem with using Square at our kettle corn events. I had no luck at all with the Square wireless chip reader - never linked in with my Note 10. I think the Dongle should be included with any purchase of the Note 10 phones since Samsung eliminated that mic port - Samsung: are you listening??? Hope this solves your problem, Antiquity Acres.

Message 6 of 30

@VentanaNana - thanks for adding your voice here. I think this is a great work around!

@antiquityacres - It seems like the Headphone Adapter for the Note 10 is the best path forward for using your current reader with your new device.

Like Helen and Ashley suggested above, we are always testing and adding new devices to our compatibility list. I will be sure to pass your Note 10 feedback along with our Product Team for future consideration 📈

Joe
Message 7 of 30

I just received my chip reader and tried to process my first credit card payment, no luck.  The settings acknowledged it was connected but it would not read the chip.  I had to enter the number manually (higher surcharge -- which isn't cool).  Is there a fix scheduled for this soon?

At Your Service
Message 8 of 30
Alumni

@AYSHandyman - no shareable timeline yet on when the Product Team will confirm compatibility for the Note 10, but it seems another Seller mentioned above that the Contactless reader works fine with theirs. 

@joli, mind chiming in to help @AYSHandyman connect their reader? 

Justin
Message 9 of 30

My contactless reader is still working fine, although it doesn't seem as robust as when I used it with my Note 8. By that I mean the Note 8 connected to the reader by simply pressing the button on the reader. With the Note 10+, I sometimes have to reboot my phone and go through some other shenanigans for all to work. So in summary, a bit more buggy with the Note 10+, but still works well. I am not sure how this does/doesn't the "Note 10".

I have a dongle I use for my plugin headphones, so I experimented/connected using my plug in reader, and my Note 10+ recognizes (sees) it - as someone else mentioned, but the CC can't be processed.

Message 10 of 30

Just an update.  The first time I tried to use the chip reader, my phone did pair with it but would not move further than that.  I was in a rather remote location with little / no reception so maybe that had something to do with it, not for sure.  I brought it home (where I have 5 bars) and used my debit card, the first transaction was a credit card, to pay my company $1.00; it went through on the first time no problems.  So lots of variables; the first was a credit card for $350 in a remote area, the second was a debit card for $1 in an area with good reception.  Any one have any thoughts on which variable played a stronger role?

At Your Service
Message 11 of 30

Just my opinion, but as long as you have a strong wifi or cell signal you are better off. The main location where I use my contactless reader has great wifi but cell signal is terrible.

Another variable for me is the BT signal that seems to lose contact with my phone, and this is with my phone no more than 3ft away. 

Lucky for me I do not use the contactless reader for multiple transactions in one day. 

I would love to see improvements made in these areas, but overall am pleased with the convenience of it all. 

As far as those here that must manually input each transaction, I feel your pain. And if your transactions are not more than once a day, may I suggest you include the added fee into your the cost of your item/service?

Message 12 of 30

We posted awhile back the same problem. As of today, we still have not been able to use either reader. Due to the up charge for manual entries, we have stopped using Square until they can correct the problem. 

Message 13 of 30

Might be old information,  but I just got my contactless and chip reader for my Note10+ which comes with a new magstripe reader, but no headphone jack. There is a USB to 3.5 socket adapter for sale online. I'm wondering if this works for people with this device before I purchase.

Message 14 of 30

Hi there, @ThomasSix! Most 3.5 socket adapters do work with our readers that are designed for a headphone jack, in general. However, there are many adapters that are untested with our products so we can not guarantee full compatibility.

We recommend testing out the adapter at a retailer before purchase, if possible.  

Joe
Message 15 of 30

I purchase my adapter at the cell phone store. Everything else works with it except the square products.

Message 16 of 30

My square won't fit in my Note 10 plus. If I just manually type in the card info will the square app work without plugging in the square device?

Message 17 of 30

Hi again, @KarenStClair! Good to hear from you again.

I've gone ahead and merged your question with a separate thread of other Sellers who have inquired about this as well. 

To answer your main question, yes! - You Note 10 Plus should still be able to take Manual Card Entry payments directly from the Square Application checkout screen. If you are in need of a refresher on how to take a 'card-not-present' payment, I would reference this helpful resource

Thanks for hanging tough while we work to bring more devices into the fold with our Readers. We will be sure to post any updates on this feature here. 

Joe
Message 18 of 30

Looking to find a way to use Square with Galaxy Note 10+. I have tried the dongle attachment that uses charging port  - no luck. Message states "Connected USB device isn't supported. Only digital USB devices can be used with this phone." Any suggestions as don't want to key everything in as added fees will be incurred?

Message 19 of 30
Admin

Hey @LiquidLightsLED!

I moved your question to this thread so that you can check out the above answers from Helen and AshC. You may want to look at using the Contactless & Chip reader.

Good luck!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 20 of 30

It's not compatible for the square however you can buy an adapter that will allow you to charge your phone and use the headphone jack at the same time. I actually purchased from Walmart and Target. 

Message 21 of 30