x

Round-up option for non-profit donation

I know there are other threads regarding rounding up for donations.

Let me clarify, in this thread, the importance of such a tool within the POS for non-profit organizations and other businesses. My team does the math for customers and adds the .23 cents (tax-exempt) to the $5.77 purchase. Our goal is to have Square provide an option for ALL square users to have a tax-exempt round-up key/button.

We have 16 local businesses that want to donate proceeds to our non-profit organization through the round-up program. They don't have the reliability in all their employees to do the "quick math" and get it right. They also do not want the added need to keep a calculator near the register, as it adds to the customer time in line. The conversation should be simple: "Your total is $23.57, would you like to roundup to the next dollar, for $24, to donate to Habitat's Homeless Veteran Community Build?" If they say yes, the cashier simply clicks the "round-up" key/button, and the report shows that "item" in their reports. The cashier does not need to pull out a claculator and do the math, and the customer sees on their receipt "Habitat Round-up" (or something like that). That company then sends a donation check to our business at the end of the month/quarter, however they want. For-profit businesses WANT this option, so they can reap the benefit of donating that money on the customers behalf, and publicize that. Customers want to give back, with as little added time as possible. Quick and painless is their preference.

This is what everyone is looking for. I have recently researched this, MANY other POS systems have this already, at the same, or less cost. Businesses using other POS systems are donating "round-up" to us already. We've been happy with Square POS; but, ya'll are behind, and missing opportunities to keep/gain POS users. When does Square plan to roll out this kind of option. I've been asking for it since March2016, and being told, "we're working on it, should be soon".

Message 1 of 89
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey there @Lynn_TRU I am sorry, I know it's not easy waiting,  but our team is still tracking this request. But it doesn't look like they have it on the roadmap currently. 

I would add your voice to this request and we will make sure to let you know as soon as anything changes. 

Thank you so much for your patience, and input again!

View Best Answer >

Message 85 of 89
88 REPLIES 88
Admin

@FHAHabitat Thanks for sharing your request in this detailed post! I think your suggestion is slightly different to the existing posts (such as How to offer customers the option to "round up" as a donations?) in that you'd like other businesses to be able to round up sales, and send those donations to specific non-profit organizations. I think this is a great suggestion! 

I'm sorry that we're not able to share a specific timeline for a new feature like this here in the Community, I know that's frustrating. In the meantime keep an eye out for workarounds like the one shared here. We'll continue to advocate for this feature for you with the relevant teams and if we have any updates to share we'll come back and add to this post to let you know. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 89

Are you any closer to releasing this requested feature?

Message 3 of 89
Beta Member

It is long past time for the round up feature in any form.  So stop making excuses and add the feature.  If not we will be switching to someone that does round up for none profits.   

Message 4 of 89
Beta Member

Long past time to offer this feature.  The excuses about why it’s not offered are ridiculous. But the future is not offered to this nonprofit will be leaving square. 

Message 5 of 89

Helen,

I have been asking for a "round up " feature for over 5 years.  I would assume that this is an easy addition.  Is there a reason why this feature has not been added? 

Please advise.

slightly frustrated,

Joe Tucciarone

Habitat for Humanity in the Roanoke Valley ReStore

Message 6 of 89

Just to clarify.... many of us have continued to watch this and ask for the same thing.  This thread alone has been viewed almost 10K times!  I would request the amount of interest in this be relayed to the development team.

Message 7 of 89

I am also looking for the round-up for non-profit donation feature.  Would you please provide info? - Blend Coffee Bar, Ashburn, va

Message 8 of 89

Hi @BlendCoffeeBar!

There's no updates or new information to give at this time around rounding up for our donations but the Product team has been made aware of these requests.

If it's ever implemented, we'll be sure to update the thread as well. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 89

It's now 2020 and this feature is still not available. Shocking that Square wouldn't be interested in being philanthropic with an opportunity to CHANGE THE WORLD without changing YOUR BUDGET. Literally, wouldn't cost Square a dime but you can reap the benefits of raising MILLIONS of dollars for charitable organizations around the world. Honestly, the lack of action and implementation is pathetic.

Message 10 of 89

Are there any updates to this feature? We are very interested in utilizing a roundup button at our shop.

Message 11 of 89
Beta Member

nope.  Square signed many of us on with Reps promising it is a "feature request and should be available soon!"  And yet we still do not have it.  

See my earlier post for the few work-arounds some of us have used.  Either use the "Tips" function and post a sign that Tips=Donations, or create a "round-up" item that is variable price and NO tax, then have the cashier ask everyone if they'd like to round up and manually calculate the amounts.

Message 12 of 89

This should be on priority list at Square for programming. All the numbers are already there and it would be easy to program it!

In an age where society is more socially aware of people in the margins, it provides a way for your retail customers to better serve their communities. 

I suggest making this EASY FIX before the holidays hit and let your users help people at large! I'm sure Square is interested in that as well:)

Message 13 of 89
Admin

@thirdspace I definitely hear you on this feature. We'll keep passing along these requests to our product teams. Appreciate you hanging in there with us.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 14 of 89

Our non-profit would like to have a "round-up" feature for our customers to quickly and easily make small donations. I've read on older threads that this is not available with Square. Does anyone know if Square is working to implement such a feature? It would obviously benefit many non-profts to have it as an option, and to save our volunteer cashiers from having to mentally do the math each time. 

Message 15 of 89

Hey there, @HFHWFC - thanks so much for adding your voice here on the Seller Community. Always grateful to see new faces!

This is definitely something that others have been asking for, as well. I went ahead and merged your post into a thread where other Sellers have requested this feature also. 

I can confirm that our Product Team is keeping tabs on this request for future development considerations. This is something that I think would be extremely beneficial to Sellers and charities, alike. I will be sure to update this thread when there is news to share.

Thanks so much again for your input! Hope to hear more from you soon. 

Joe
Message 16 of 89

I just started searching to see if this exact feature was offered. We want to bless a local nonprofit here in Oregon, but it appears that is not a reality for my small business.

Because we are still small, and are not heavily invested yet with our point of sale, we may look into options other than square.

Message 17 of 89

Hi @CoetzeeJaco -

Thank you so much for your feedback! I can see how much good could be done for adding this feature. 

Right now, I don't have a timeline on when this would be implemented. Keep an eye out for our Product Updates for when this would become available. 

Kassi
Message 18 of 89

I have a donation jar that benefits local families and someone suggested this round up feature to me today. I certainly could see this work so much better and easier than asking people if they wish to donate such and such amount when they use a card. They simply throw change in my jar, but most do not use the card option to give in, and I believe they most certainly would if this option was readily available without taking any more of their time for me to figure it out!!

Message 19 of 89
Super Seller Alumni

I want to bump this and say that's DEFINITELY something we need a small non-profit organization.

Message 20 of 89
Super Seller Alumni

Hello all,

I know this is a feature that has had numerous threads before I ever came along, but I'd like to reiterate to the developers that having the ability to let customers round up their total to the nearest dollar as a donation is a feature that would be of high value to us as a non-profit.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Message 21 of 89